myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Is the water in the gorge safe?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WaveSlayer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Is the water in the gorge safe? Reply with quote

Water Quality? The e-coli sign is up at the Hook. Dogs are dying from toxic algae. Yet I only hear crickets from all sources that used to be reliable. Does anyone have knowledge or a source?
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safe for what?
Was it ever?
1. ST Lawrence.
2. MISSISSIPPI.
3. Columbia.
mac

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.columbiariverkeeper.org/our-work/engaging-communities/water-quality-monitoring
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been playing in it more or less full time for 35 years, and the only health impacts I've noticed have been west of the shipyards at Longview, way west of Portland. The toxic algae problem is mostly in stagnant shoreline spots in the TriCities area 150 highway miles east of Hood River. But then, I never windsurfed just downriver of The Dalles during a sewage overflow, either.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, where do you think the river flows from?
Does pollution just disappear on it's 100 mile trip downriver?
Is it possible low water levels contribute to higher percentages of pollution?
Obviously, high water years, fast flows, should dilute pollutants more than drought years.
updraft

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been killing me for the last 20 years. If I fall in 3 times, I cant breathe through my nose for 24 hours.
Five years ago I fell in ONE time near Welles Island. In 20 minutes my throat was swollen almost shut. Then it went down into my lungs. I now cough for 5 minutes every morning. This shit just will not go away.
Last time I checked, the Pseudomonas and Aeromonas bacteria levels were about 1000 times past the safe limits for swimming.
So, how bad do you need your sailing fix? Can you wait until November and go to Hawaii or Florida for a few months?
I will confess, I have slipped past my wife and made it to the River for a few sessions. Still alive.....
westender

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone told me shit happens at the HR treatment plant. Maybe the location of the discharge pipe hasn't changed since the spit has. Idea

https://www.belldesigncompany.com/hoodriveroutfall.html

"This redesign is meant to address the undesirable accumulation of wastewater near the shoreline and nearby recreational use areas due to the formation of a reverse-current eddy which resulted from a newly-created landmass know as the "Spit". "

Last edited by westender on Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds more like an allergy problem than a contamination problem. I haven't made a dozen dry jibes since chemotherapy in 2017, but the only time the water bothers me is when it shoots up my nose and feels like battery acid. But that's just the Ph, not pollution.

Either way, I assume you irrigate your sinuses every evening. It quickly stops any oncoming "river nose" or any other nasal or sinus problems for me.

updraft wrote:
Its been killing me for the last 20 years. If I fall in 3 times, I cant breathe through my nose for 24 hours.
Five years ago I fell in ONE time near Welles Island. In 20 minutes my throat was swollen almost shut. Then it went down into my lungs. I now cough for 5 minutes every morning. This shit just will not go away.
updraft

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This year hasn't been as bad. I fell in several times late season in Stevenson and it was 4AM the next morning before my sinuses had swollen shut. But this was after huffing 1% hydrogen peroxide in a nebulizer. The salt water sinus flush don't work for me.

I have suspected allergy at times, but allergy doesn't turn into two weeks of hellish pneumonia that hangs on with a morning cough for years afterward.

The peroxide nebulizer has been the greatest thing in the world for stopping any kind of respiratory flu and cold since I began using it immediately after any airplane trip, or first sign of sore throat, achy eyes, etc. Two years flu free!!!

Take that Covid, you dirty bastard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: