myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Prescription sunglasses in the Gorge
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crashpile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Prescription sunglasses in the Gorge Reply with quote

I have worn, and disliked, disposable contact lenses for years with decent non prescription sunglasses while windsurfing for several years. I'd like to upgrade and simplify with prescription sunglasses. Are Sea Specs better than Rec Specs or LiPs? I don't expect to sail in salt water, mostly the Gorge. Thank you.
quigley

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear Rec Specs in salt water on the east coast and here in Maui. No problems..just rinse with clean water at the end of the day. Oh, and be sure to secure the band with an extra leash around the next or to your suit.
sailnbike

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a polarized lens and Under Armour wrap around style frame that was purchased online from SportRx. Been very happy with them!
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch out for polarized lens. Something like 10% of sailors, including me, can't wear them for sailing. I suggest experimenting first with a borrowed or cheap pair of polarized glasses. You'll know within one reach, maybe even from the beach if there's chop or swell nearby, which group you fall into. I also watch 3D movies; maybe there's a correlation.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a windsurfer and a golfer I can also say that polarized lens distort my view. More so on the course than the water. I don't even like them for driving.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: no polar for me either Reply with quote

I'm another of the group of defectives that have issues with polarized
lenses while windsurfing. I really have trouble with the pitch and angle
of swells.

-Craig
divot

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been sailing with polarized, prescription sunglasses for years and love them! There may be a small learning curve, like getting used to the progressive lens, but your brain adapts quickly and your eyes will thank you.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sez one of the lucky 90%. Maybe if we ten percenters sail with polarized lens, then wear two eye patches every moment we're not sailing ...

Except near dawn and dusk, I can't see the swell or chop even without polarization in the heavily forested corridor. Polarization exacerbates that effect dramatically for me.

Don't get me started on progressive lens. Fortunately, both of the optical shops that talked me into them had full replacement guarantees.

We're all different, thank God and/or Mother Nature.
Lyleland

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use Smith glasses with an opthomolic (sp?) insert. The double lenses would get really scummy in the Columbia. I found Nike frames that can be made prescription (Maybe these - https://www.sportrx.com/nike-dash.html). You can get them polarized, or not, anti glare, or not - I have both. It depends on your prescription whether they can grind lenses with the curvature to your prescription. They made a big difference in my sailing. Much better visibility, but, from the shore polarization makes it look windier than it actually is - whitecap enhancement,
windward1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you keep your sunglasses from fogging up? I have tried anti-fogging solutions, raw potato and spit. Nothing has worked for me. I see less well with the glasses on than without them due to the fogging.

I would like to partake of the sun protection for my eyes, however.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: