myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Powerbox Foil Newbie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waterat Pat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject: Powerbox Foil Newbie Reply with quote

I have a 115l Freeride board with powerbox that I think would be great for a beginner foil setup. It si a Naish Starship and has many footstrap positions which I think will be helpful. Any recommendations on what kind of mast or foil to get? I am a beginner foil person and I would be using my windsurf sails.
Thanks in advance. Patrick
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of all the PB foils I'd say the new Fanatic is best by a mile.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A handful of windfoilers here use the NP Glide Series S and M with various JP boards in PB.
They had to drill out the board's PB screw opening to 8 mm., a tiny difference. They all windfoil pretty well.
All are lightweights. All use foil for 8-17 mph winds, then fin for more.
Personally, at 160 lbs., I can't imagine using 85 liter boards for windfoil since I almost sink my 122 Naish when slogging around. About an inch of water is flowing into the rear strap when I slog.
About the same for those lightweights, 130'145 lbs on their 85 liter PB boards.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the N.P. Glide is a better set up for a power box board. If your looking for lite wind foiling get the large front wing. If you have deep water get the longest mast they offer. A nose pad for the front of your board isn't a bad idea. First few times out don't wear a harness. Go out in lite winds for a few rides just to get the feel how the foil feels under your board. Protection for your legs, feet and head is a must. Don't use your straps at first. Get a feel for flight control before you lock your feet in place. Some people go strapless all the time. A lot only use the front straps. When you start using your harness, be careful not to let the hook damage the board when you climb on. Read the Sling Shot foil academy on line. The balance and flight control section is still excellent advice. The touch and go section is good also.
As for learning on short masts, its debatable. It seems that most peoples first flights ends up in a crash with the board turning up wind and then foiling out. back foot on the center line or even over center line will help until you get the feel of it all. Rig small. Being over powered will learning is asking for frustration. For me, it only took a few days out to get comfortable with all of this. A foiling turn is a whole new chapter. Keep in mine that this advice is from a 71 year old guy. My goal was and is to have fun and stay safe....
Mgoetz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a beginner foiler and have been using the NP Glide Wing also with the S and M front wing. Until very recently, I was using it on my wife's JP 146 Excite Ride and had some good, sustained flights. I haven't checked foll prices lately, but at the time, it was cheaper than most, and adverised as offering stability and safety over speed which was what I needed. It's modular so you can swap out the front wings and has multiple fin box base connections which was helpful to me when I got a dedicated foil board that required a pedestal base. It's comparatively heavy to an all carbon hydrofoil and noticed the tail of the JP would sink a bit if I shifted my weight to the back. With a little bit of patience and the right conditions, the right foil and your regular gear can get you off to a good start.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mackite Foil Friday has a great review on the 2021 N.P. glide foil
DelmarEdward

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN-what do you use as the protection for legs and arms that you recommend-just a wetsuit??

Or what else?
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the weather is warm I use 1.5 mil swim pants> I got them online for around 20 bucks. They help protect my legs from the foil and knees when getting on the board. Some sort of bootie for your feet. Its pretty easy to kick the foil when learning.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: