myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
UPS scam- Warning Windsurfers!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atlas.wave55

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: UPS scam- Warning Windsurfers! Reply with quote

Just wanted to warn you guys so you don't have the same problem. I have had great experiences with USPS shipping windsurfing items across the country from USA to Canada. My package came very quickly in less then a week from California to Toronto. Paying about $35 in duties after receiving the item. Then there is UPS; who manged to mess up my address leading to delays. 19 days later my package came with a $131 charge. A $72 broker fee on top of the gst. They are supposed to contact you by email or phone asking for your info to send to the broker they are just trying to help you out right!?

They never contacted me, but say they will next time, that's BS Lol. The part they don't tell you is you can self checkout your package. They legally have to provide you this information posted below for this(Even though they will sometimes say they can't).

Instructions on where and how to self clear the package including phone numbers and fax numbers (cause this is 1982) which has a spot for stamping by customs.The commercial invoice which also has a place for stamping by customs.And the regular invoice provided by whoever shipped you the item.

If you don’t get an email first and someone from UPS brings your package to your door asking you for the broker fees say no.  SAY NO.  Say you’re going to self clear your package and send them on their way. The second you sign anything, you can’t go back.  You will have agreed (knowingly or not) to UPS acting as your broker.

I will know better next time. Definitely do not use UPS for cross border carrier unless you like waiting extra time for your package to arrive and getting hit with made up fees.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: