myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board bag for 125 Tabou Rocket
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:59 pm    Post subject: Board bag for 125 Tabou Rocket Reply with quote

Aloha!

I'm trying to find a suitable bag for 125 Tabou Rocket and cannot find anything available. The bag would be for 2-4 hour freeway trips and back.
Thanks!

Andrei

Last edited by Ugly_Bird on Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to post the bag dimensions you need. Most people would not know what bag would fit a specific board.

Where you live and travel would help, too, as shipping would cost more than a bag in many instances.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me that transportation to the beach and back can be done without a bag. It shouldn't see too much exposure during the trip, and the upside is that the ride would tend to dry-off the board.

However, if you just have to have the added protection of a bag, I would recommend having one custom manufactured. It could easily be made from canvas or a similar material, so that it limited any wetness dipping on our vehicle inside or out, and it would protect the board from the sun.
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
You might want to post the bag dimensions you need. Most people would not know what bag would fit a specific board.

Where you live and travel would help, too, as shipping would cost more than a bag in many instances.

Good questions, thanks.
It is 244cm long and 75.5 cm wide according to the spec.
When I look for a bag what is very confusing that they often list the size of a
bag not the size of a board it would accommodate.
I'm in central NH but OK to pay for shipping.

Andrei
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha.
I used to drive 33 hours to Abreojos, no bags atop Civic.
Handful of 13 hour drives to the Gorge, no bag.
Never used a bag atop Civic in 20 years.
dhmark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MFC daylight bags very reasonably priced and there are sizes in that range to choose from. To guess the width, measure all the way around the board at the widest point, divide by 2, add several cm for slack, that's the width you need of a flat bag.
If you don't normally use a bag, why buy a bag just to put on the car roof for occasional trips? Don't sweat it. Stay away from semis if you are worried or tape some bubble wrap to the part of the board facing forward. For me, board bag provides protection when I am moving board in and out of car, car to garage storage, basement steps, etc. Never worried about board on car roof.
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Ha ha.
I used to drive 33 hours to Abreojos, no bags atop Civic.
Handful of 13 hour drives to the Gorge, no bag.
Never used a bag atop Civic in 20 years.

Well, I no longer have Civic... Smile
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Board bag for 125 Tabou Rocket Reply with quote

Ugly_Bird wrote:
Aloha!

I'm trying to find a suitable bag for 125 Tabou Rocket and cannot find anything available. The bag would be for 2-4 hour freeway trips and back.
Thanks!

Andrei

Another question. Smile
Since the Tabou has a lot of V on the front, the front roof rack strap goes bananas at 30-50 mph. Slower and faster is OK Smile
The vibration from the strap is crazy. I tried to put some softish stuff between the board and the strap but didn't find a good solution yet.
Any easy tricks?
dhmark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is literally the strap, it is the AIRFLOW to the sides of the board and whatever the strap is attached to. Put a half twist in the strap so that it no longer acts like a reed in a wind instrument, no more vibration.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The length translates pretty well from boards to bags, but the bag's width must accommodate the board's thickness including footstraps. The easy way to estimate the necessary bag internal width needed is to measure the circumference of your board and front footstraps with a tape measure, then divide by 2.

Another factor is that one shaper's "length" is a straight line from nose to tail, while another shaper's "length" is measured along the keel. Your bag cares only about the latter length, PLUS that thickness thing again.

Don't skimp; better several inches too big than 1" too small.

Do they have any swap meets in your neck of the woods? In this application, there's nothing like finding a great bag, sticking your board in it to be SURE it fits, then paying $10 or $20 for it.

The board's V doesn't matter if you rack your board belly up. I can't imagine mounting them belly down, because that just shoves the forward end of the load way up into the air.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: