myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
***SWAP MEET SUNDAY JULY 3rd!**** BRING It ALL!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that it is MORE than adequate good weather for a swap today is irrelevant, in my opinion. A rainy day would be no vindication for the decision to cancel OR the alluded-to rationales.

1) Like Joe, I too appreciate the CGW2. I have given them thousands of dollars to buy gear from them. I also like what they have done regarding river access and local politics. Thank you. Does my appreciation mean they are beyond critique or a straightforward question? Hell no.

2) Still, the CGW2 (CUSailin?) has not truly owned the decision to cancel. Just read. There are allusions but really no ownership. You can do the reading/viewing and comprehension. So, the question still remains unanswered: Why?

3) CUSailin (the CGW2?) also appears to blame-shift responsibility for the swap being cancelled, referring to volunteer staffing. If staffing is an issue, why not publicly ask for it BEFORE the swap? Is the CGW2 weary of handling a trailer full of boards in the midst of a declining windsurf market? Figure out what to do about those logs! Fear of Covid maybe? Whatever it is, own it. At any rate, I think shifting blame is disingenous. It really rubs me the wrong way. Especially considering as I have given CGW2 thousands of dollars over the decades. It's what politicians do, not LEADERS. The best leaders own their decisions and take responsibility. They provide actual rationales as to why, rather than blame-shift. In over 25 years, I cannot remember a single swap cancelled due to threat of intolerable rain.

4) Wisdom: The CGW2 earns thousands of dollars each swap. It missed out on thousands today. Is it wise to cancel an important revenue event due to staffing shortage or mere possibility of bad weather? Was there a "herd effect" in making the decision to cancel (i.e. fear of intolerable rain amongst a few which spread to others, including volunteers)? Leaders provide the morale to forge onward! They are not passive. Active adaptation is the rule for coping!

5) Morale: Not only do swaps make revenue for the biggest seller, CGW2 (as Westender refers to), but they also give small fry sellers the chance to unload gear for $ and needy people to buy. Not to be discounted is the SOCIAL opportunity it provides. All these factors affect morale. (I think more money never has a poor effect on morale.) In the future, can CGW2 be counted on to follow through with better coping? This question of morale pops into MY mind now. And I am not the only one.

It is a bummer there is no social and gear opportunity today in the form of a CGW2 swap. However, ultimately, I am more disappointed in the dodgy communication behaviors exhibited regarding this decision (they demonstrate poor leadership) and the ultimate poor coping by the organization. There is no law requiring full disclosure by CGW2. But I think it is preferable for all grass roots organizations. Otherwise, only the insiders are privy to the truth. It doesn't make for good PR.

*Incidentally, IMHO, Windance did it right. They cancelled their early swap and gave a rationale (Covid congregation avoidance), without hesitation or obfuscation. Right or wrong, wise or foolish, this shows better leadership quality. They owned it.
CUSalin

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 7:51 pm    Post subject: This Weekends CGW2.org Swap Meet *** CANCELLED *** Reply with quote

Hey Biff, thinking you should change your name to "Trollmalibu."

Outside of that, we're really looking forward to our next scheduled Swap Meet on July 3rd. It' going to be great!

CU Sailin'

hilton08

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just glad there was plenty of wind today so the weekend wasn't a total bust.
There would have been a lot more angry people if they drove all this way and there was no swap and no wind.
Seaaiken

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biff, we obviously need your help on the CGW2 board. Cool
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: This Weekends CGW2.org Swap Meet *** CANCELLED *** Reply with quote

CUSalin wrote:
Hey Biff, thinking you should change your name to "Trollmalibu."

Outside of that, we're really looking forward to our next scheduled Swap Meet on July 3rd. It' going to be great!

CU Sailin'

It's kind of funny. But I would have gone for "BiffTrollabu" or something even more clever and complicated.

Instead of delivering a real answer, in the name of avoiding answering or taking responsibility, name-calling has ensued; it is really (logically) the weakest form of arguement. Not only this, but resorting to it of a guy who has given thousands to CGW2. Wow. Name-calling is really the ultimate sign of a poor leader. And it should precede abdication of that kind of role. It's not appropriate. I really don't take it personally. It's not about me. Something else stinks.

Trolls resort to name-calling when they cannot (or, perhaps in this case, WILL not) adequately defend their positions. It's a form of blame-shifting, basically using dehumanizing emotional language to ethically smear the opposing voice. The Nazis were great at it...smearing Jews and a lot of other groups as subhumans, to make it emotionally more tolerable to abuse them, beginning by shifting blame.., and so are the Neo-Nazis (Trump, Putin, etc.). But I digress. The closest I got to that in this thread was using the word "politician" when referring to blame-shifting "leaders".

Instead of focusing on me, let's get back to the original subject in bold black and white:
Still no actual reason stated by the CGW2 for cancelling the swap. And I am not the only one that asks! Actual leaders answer questions with real verbal answers, not with vague references or allusional pictures. Until there is a real answer, I encourage everyone to ask the most dangerous question since elementary school (of an organization that supposedly represents all of the wind and water community): "Why?"

If I am still around after this summer, maybe I will seek out more involvement in the CGW2. It obviously needs better leadership for one, perhaps organization, morale, and motivation. How could an organization like this be so fat and happy as to abruptly cancel a much needed swap that makes thousands in one day for its general fund?! As for my current involvement, I hope for the next opportunity to add more $ to the thousands (no hyperbole; I have easily spent $1000 in just ONE summer) I have already given to CGW2 when buying gear. Maybe the CGW2 will not chicken out en masse the next time when hosting a swap. Or maybe it will. What will it be next? Too much wildfire smoke in the forecast?

Last edited by biffmalibu on Mon May 30, 2022 3:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
isobars

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Internet troll: one who posts lies just to elicit responses. IMO, they're lower than attack dogs because trolling wastes everyone's time.

I don't see BM trolling here. He's simply expressing his honest opinions, which we're free to accept, rebuff, or ignore. That's called free speech (Elon Musk's admirable goal with Twitter).

I gotta wonder how many people drove in from Boise, or Canada, or No Cal, or Seattle just ... or at least primarily ... for the swap meet. I'm guessing a substantial number, considering the threads on the sparsity of used gear and the Covid constraints. My alarm was set for 2:30 AM for Sunday, so I'm damned glad I spotted the cancellation before I loaded up my van and went to bed.

But, hey, it still beats the swap meet a couple of years ago that simply didn't happen. One poor schmuck showed up from hours away with at least half a dozen boards for sale ... more than the rest of that meet combined.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sure sign of something stinking is when Isobars and I basically agree on something.

Still no actual real answer to the question: Why was the swap cancelled?
GarryW

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biff, Obviously you know something that the rest of don't. Please share your conspiracy theory. Thanks
Gwarn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who cares why it was cancelled.
It's a sweep meet
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some folks drive hundreds of miles for Gorge swap meets. Some serious buyers and sellers spend days preparing for them. They care.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: