myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
***SWAP MEET SUNDAY JULY 3rd!**** BRING It ALL!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't oversimplify or misconstrue. Allow me to clarify.

Having the swap cancelled was a bummer, and not only to me.
Being given nonanswers as answers to a simple (but dangerous!) question was a double-bummer (insulting, and not only to me).
Being a pretty generous donor ($xxxxx) to CGW2 over decades while being dehumanized via name-calling ("troll") in order to shift blame is the triple-bummer. Realizing how dumb it ALL is, especially from a PR standpoint, is the quadruple-bummer. WTF is up with the CGW2? It stinks.

Now, I'm "spoiled" for being miffed yet living in a windy place where I can windsurf and (ostensibly) attend a swap meet. What will it be next? Whatever it is, I don't care. I will still ask the question, and I won't accept B.S. nonanswers. I don't think anybody should accept B.S. when they ask a question. I'm not an insider. So, I don't understand the rationale. It hasn't truly been explained.

It has occured to me that the fabulous annual raffle at Stonehedge has also been cancelled. This was also disappointing (though nowhere near as inconsiderate). Will fear of threat of rain, laziness, poor morale (lack of courage), or staffing shortage (poor foresight and planning) cause this to happen again?

If CGW2 needed volunteer staffing in order to effect the swap, they should have asked for help ahead of time. This forum would not be a dumb place to ask for it (kinda like Aiken as implied, although too late for ancient history). But again, I am just speculating as to the actual rationale for cancelling the swap. The question hasn't really been answered or owned.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know nothing about answers, I'm not a CGW2 administrator, but
you are obviously not getting the answer you want, and I doubt that
will happen. There's certainly no way to force them to give an answer more
to your liking.

Going forward, I'd recommend you avoid the swap. No disappointment, no bummer.

Personally, I'm still a fan (dangerous as that may be)

-Craig

biffmalibu wrote:
WTF is up with the CGW2? It stinks.

GarryW

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be a Pray For Wind party including a raffle and auction next Saturday night June 18th at Kickstand at the corner of State and 13th from 6 to 10 with live music.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biffmalibu wrote:
A sure sign of something stinking is when Isobars and I basically agree on something.

We agree on at least one other point: each of us thinks the other is an ass. Smile

Furthermore, I'm right 98% of the time, and don't care about the other 4%. That makes the odds that you're an ass about 1.03.

How often are YOU right?
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
to your liking.

-Craig

biffmalibu wrote:

I didn't expect to have to write again. And I am tired of it. But I feel like I must.

CGW2 has actually not clearly stated a rationale for cancelling the swap! There are only allusions and a picture of steady rain. In my opinion, this lack of a straightforward rationale and ownership of the decision signifies a clear and disturbing lack of humility, as if the individual or group is somehow beyond reproach and wishes to dodge responsibility. If anybody sees an actual straight answer, please quote it or point it out to me. Then, I will apologize for missing it and shut up. In my opinion, such a rationale ought to be stated publicly and clearly for best total effect for the community and the CGW2 going forward. For the apathetics (and insiders), this may not feel important or necessary or a slight. For me and some others who actually care, it is important and necessary. Without a straight answer (and combined with actual non-answers), something feels greasy.

Threat of rain has never been a reason to cancel, and no swap has ever (to my knowledge) been cancelled due to threat of rain (before this one). My best guess is poor morale or a herd effect caused the decision. But I try not to put words in mouths; so I am just guessing. I would really like to hear the honest reason. If it is poor morale, just nut up and say so. Here.

I have been approached by CUSailin' for a private discussion of this. He also asked if I am a current CGW2 member. You might think this is somehow admirable. However, I strongly feel that any private discussion would be inherently disingenous. (And I would report the results of the discussion here anyway, after suddenly and magically becoming an "insider".). There is no need for confidentiality, unless I am missing something critical here. Why hide it? I don't understand this. The people who travel to the Gorge (as well as live here) and utilize access to the river deserve forthright answers; those answers should not be hidden or obfuscated in private discussion.

The cancelling of the swap is very disappointing, but it is a smaller deal than the dodgy response to the dangerous question of "Why?"

I have been a dues paying member of the CGW2 off and on. Some years I give so much money (yeah, for real, $1000 in a summer! No lie!) at the swaps that I don't feel like paying the annual fee. (<--see how easy it is to be honest with an explanation? Some people might not like this attitude of mine. But at least I am being honest about it. Maybe there needs to be a cleverer way of increasing paid membership.) I don't shred at Swell City anyway. Am I still supporting the CGW2 by spending money at swaps? Yes, I think so. Does this mean I cannot ask an important question and expect an honest answer? No, I don't think so. My current membership status and how much money I have given over the decades is irrelevant to my questioning and critique of the CGW2. I don't deserve to be an insider, no matter how much money I spend. And I think keeping secrets is disingenous to the public that is served.

No individual or group is magically beyond critique, even when they are well-liked. When straight questions are dodged via vague answers, something stinks and needs fixing. Without straight answers, the fixing that needs to be done never happens. Right now, it feels like CGW2/CUSailin' wants one public answer and another different private answer. That's not right, in my opinion.

Last edited by biffmalibu on Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
isobans

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr 98% right's own words-->

"Nothing personal, you idiots (including the non-blacks who support such total bullshit), but how about a free FUCK YOU, you greedy bastards? You're living in the best environment on the planet to take the bull by the horns LEGITIMATELY and succeed. Do something with that opportunity rather than lying in the streets, blaming and harming and murdering the cops who protect your asses better than they protect mine in many cities, and saying I'm guilty of something my ancestors may have done (I have no idea, because it's totally irrelevant, who or what my ancestors were or did.) Get a freaking job, invent something special, and consider WORKING for life's rewards, just like everybody else had to do."

-isobars 2020
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biff,

While offered my opinion earlier, with your most recent post, I would offer another in good spirit.

I think that your missing some of the best sailing in the Gorge if you're skipping Swell City. If you don't like the crowd, you can always sail upwind a bit and explore some of the best sailing in the Gorge. That was my haunt. It's close to Hood River, and for those on that side of the river, you can visually check the conditions at Swell from a nice little park perched high on the cliff above the river. That can save a lot of driving

I have to admit though, to be quite honest, I've always been tourist in the Gorge.
H2OJoe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noooo! We don't want that asshole at Swell! Stay home bitching about the swap that didn't happen.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't really expect to return either. You certainly have the right to
continue on about this as long as you care to provide the energy to
do so. It just seems unlikely (to me) to produce any outcome other than "rain".
That might stink, but it is the environment we have.
The only way I know how to get results is to vote
with my wallet. I used to try protest, but it was less effective. Perhaps you
will have more success?

Plus I couldn't resist this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4pRe8ul7KQ

-Craig

[quote="biffmalibu"]
cgoudie1 wrote:
to your liking.

-Craig

biffmalibu wrote:

The people who travel to the Gorge (as well as live here) and utilize access to the river deserve forthright answers; those answers should not be hidden or obfuscated in private discussion.

biffmalibu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Unforgiven" is a great western, one of my faves. It is like an ancient Greek heroic epic tale of revenge. But the theme of that "deserve" scene is predated by the entire novel "Justine" by Marquis de Sade, which drives the point even harder like a sledgehammer.

Again, to be clear (because of ongoing miscontruing by Joe, etc.), it's not just the fact the swap was cancelled that is disappointing and that I am complaining about. It's the consequent behavior that has followed that has actually become most bothersome. Namely 1) avoiding actually clearly answering "Why?" (it's akin to lying, in my book), 2) name-calling, the last desperate tactic of those who don't have a leg to stand on during an arguement, as well as a way to blame-shift), and now 3) an obvious double-standard for "transparency". This kind of stuff really matters (unless you want to stick your heads in the sand).

*Allusions and avoidance, yes. But still no actual answer or reason for the swap cancellation pointed out here. However, I am open to it. I'm an "asshole" for pointing out all this. I really dislike getting lied to and then getting blamed for pointing out lameness and double-standards. I wouldn't respect myself for accepting it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: