myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Blog: WHY ENDLESS NW OCEAN WINDS this spring?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfind

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 12:17 pm    Post subject: Blog: WHY ENDLESS NW OCEAN WINDS this spring? Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

You know the melody by heart. On the California coast, spring means mild winds and gentle weather. Then a storm hits, passes, then departs. And as the rain ends, clouds thin and strong NW clearing winds rake the coast and curve in the San Francisco Bay. They are strongest the first day, mellower the second then we go back to milder winds.

This spring has been radically different. For most of the season, there have been strong NW winds at our ocean buoys and frequently those winds curved into the Bay as GUSTY winds with sometimes uncommon directions.

This blog below tells the story in simple words and more complex pictures.

http://blog.weatherflow.com/west-coast-wind-blog-san-francisco-spring-2023-why-endless-nw-ocean-winds/

The thumbnail below prewarns you that this is a geeky blog.

One thing I did not cover the blog is why 3rd. Ave. has often been troubled by W to WSW winds inside late spring. Normally NW spring winds fill in to the launches pretty well. Hint... dry sunny spring in the Central Valley due to La Nina means what... for the pressure gradient towards Altamont Pass. Who can figure it out?

Mike Godsey
IWK

California Endless Spring NWfinal.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  572.22 KB
 Viewed:  4690 Time(s)

California Endless Spring NWfinal.jpg

Last edited by windfind on Sun May 29, 2022 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
windward1

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Mike, forecasting out a year into 2023 is really taking weathercasting to the next level!
wyndryder

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You da' man Mike!
windfind

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windward1 wrote:
Wow, Mike, forecasting out a year into 2023 is really taking weathercasting to the next level!

Hi windward1,

Double Wow! One WOW that someone actually read such a complex graphic. Second WOW that you are surprised at my forecasting prowess.

But then I realized that it would seem conceited to be forecasting a year into the future when most of the time I can barely forecast 6 hours in advance. So, I changed the year on the forecast.

But, I am standing on my forecast graphic for June 1, 2022 for a YET ANOTHER storm to target the Pacific Northwest and the North Pacific High's surface NW winds to blast the California coast.

Mike Godsey
a-might-bit-goosty

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We 3rd Ave sailers are mostly middle aged and suffer from serious FOMW (fear of missing wind). So, yeah, we're getting beat to hell by the nonstop NW flow. More please.
julyzin56

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Blog: WHY ENDLESS NW OCEAN WINDS this spring? Reply with quote

windfind wrote:
Hi Gang,

You know the melody by heart. On the California coast, spring means mild winds and gentle weather. Then a storm hits, passes, then departs. And as the rain ends, clouds thin and strong NW clearing winds rake the coast and curve in the San Francisco Bay. They are strongest the first day, mellower the second then we go back to milder winds.

This spring has been radically different. For most of the season, there have been strong NW winds at our ocean buoys and frequently those winds curved into the Bay as GUSTY winds with sometimes uncommon directions.

This blog below tells the story in simple words and more complex pictures.

http://blog.weatherflow.com/west-coast-wind-blog-san-francisco-spring-2023-why-endless-nw-ocean-winds/drift hunters

The thumbnail below prewarns you that this is a geeky blog.

One thing I did not cover the blog is why 3rd. Ave. has often been troubled by W to WSW winds inside late spring. Normally NW spring winds fill in to the launches pretty well. Hint... dry sunny spring in the Central Valley due to La Nina means what... for the pressure gradient towards Altamont Pass. Who can figure it out?

Mike Godsey
IWK
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: