myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sign the petition to keep Lake Hodges open during dam work.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loopless

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:09 pm    Post subject: Sign the petition to keep Lake Hodges open during dam work. Reply with quote

The powers that be decided that Lake Hodges dam needed some renovation work, and that the lake needed to be lowered. Despite the lowered level being roughly the same or higher than during many years of drought , they have closed the lake to all recreation during this project for all of 2022.

There is a petition to keep the lake open for recreation - windsurfing, wing foiling, kayak,SUP, float fishing, other hand launched craft. We need more signatures.

https://www.change.org/p/keep-lake-hodges-open-to-recreation-during-dam-renovation-project
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eva the board lady in lake Isabella went through the same issue up there.
She is incredibly determined to support and grow our sport. She may post if she sees this. This LADY has a wealth of knowledge form A/Z on anything water sports. Getting her input will go a long way to help your cause......
superkraut

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you, Tony - that's very kind of you!
My expertise (after fighting for access at Lake Isabella during our own massive dam remediation) is in dealing with USACE and Forest Service. I doubt much of that would be helpful at Hodges.
I did, however, share the call for signatures with our Isabella sailors - they of all people will be supportive
loopless

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superkraut wrote:
thank you, Tony - that's very kind of you!
My expertise (after fighting for access at Lake Isabella during our own massive dam remediation) is in dealing with USACE and Forest Service. I doubt much of that would be helpful at Hodges.
I did, however, share the call for signatures with our Isabella sailors - they of all people will be supportive

Thanks Eva,
Just be glad they at least seem to support recreation on your lake. Down here the lakes people give the impression that wish we would all just go away... except the "power boat fisherman" who hold an inordinate sway over them - its the old boys network. The best evidence of this is that once the lake dropped below the level that a powerboat can be launched at the ramp, suddenly they close the lake.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We here at Lopez lake have work very hard to to keep all the park staff on our side.
From the people that clean restrooms and pick up trash to the check in folks at the gate. Get there a bit early and clean the launch area. Smile and thank the work
crews that maintain the area. We bring cookies several times a year for all staff including the park ranger and the guys that patrol the lake in a boat. Over the years, several of the guys have saved the life of swimmers and boaters of all kinds. Police your own group and obey any and all restrictions in your sailing area. When we had water and lots of folks windsurfing, we had a end of the year barbecue and invited the park staff. Ass kissing? Maybe. My point is be an asset if you can. Just sayin
loopless

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
We here at Lopez lake have work very hard to to keep all the park staff on our side.
From the people that clean restrooms and pick up trash to the check in folks at the gate. Get there a bit early and clean the launch area. Smile and thank the work
crews that maintain the area. We bring cookies several times a year for all staff including the park ranger and the guys that patrol the lake in a boat. Over the years, several of the guys have saved the life of swimmers and boaters of all kinds. Police your own group and obey any and all restrictions in your sailing area. When we had water and lots of folks windsurfing, we had a end of the year barbecue and invited the park staff. Ass kissing? Maybe. My point is be an asset if you can. Just sayin

It's a totally different scale of operation at Hodges. No camping or anything like that. One launch area shared with kayaks etc. One or two staff ( not rangers) around and a small concession. The problem is the upper levels of Lake and Recreation management are beholden to the traditional users of the lakes - the power boating fisherman - the other recreational users can go suck eggs as far as they are concerned.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Miss Eva,
how is the water holding up at your lake. I have friends heading your way in a few days...Thanks tony
superkraut

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
Hey Miss Eva,
how is the water holding up at your lake. I have friends heading your way in a few days...Thanks tony

we topped out a couple of days ago at a pathetic 14% of full.... now plummeting towards the abyss, as the farmers start calling up their meagre allotments for this season. Our usual AuxDam venue will have an island bisecting it come July Sad
superkraut

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Thanks Eva,
Just be glad they at least seem to support recreation on your lake. Down here the lakes people give the impression that wish we would all just go away... "

a while back, I paddled my outrigger canoe past a fat fellow standing in the shallows by his jetski. "You need a motor in that thing!" "no, thank you, I'm just fine" "then you don't belong on this lake!" said he...
Which perfectly sums up our status at Lake Isabella: motors rule, and everybody is passionate about fishing. All else is barely tolerated, by recreationists and authorities alike.
A windsurfer ran over the line of someone trolling through the windsurf venue. Instead of explaining to the angler that he needs to give r-o-w to the sailor, the sailor was reprimanded, and all sailors put on notice that if they got closer than 100 feet to any motorboat, they'd get fined. Um... with me going 25mph, and the motorboat 35 - how will I manage to maintain my distance???
They are looking for excuses to banish us
windward1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Who ever thought it would come to this?!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: