myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Carbon Foil Mast yay or nay; fuselage length questions.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wsmtbskate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:19 pm    Post subject: Carbon Foil Mast yay or nay; fuselage length questions. Reply with quote

Riding a Goya 120 Airbolt with a 5.6 or smaller sails, typically inland lake sailing so tend to ride bigger front wing 1800 Naish HA with smaller sails to help with the big lulls. On the ocean I'll ride a smaller wing.

I am into freeride and carving moves, not just going fast. I'd like to eventually do down and upwind 360's. I'm wondering if people think it's worth it to upgrade to a carbon foil mast ?

also, I'm running an 80 cm fuselage. the newer Naish fuselages only come in 95 cm for windsurfing or 65 for winging. I think that the 95 would be great for pitch stability but would be detrimental for carving ?

thanks in advance
Jeff
wsmtbskate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madelineangeladevine wrote:
This was helpful for me as a blogger because honestly I hadn’t considered the return value in commenting on other blogs.
royalmj.com

*** SPAMMER ***
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 79 fuze, sometimes 2140, mostly 1220 and 1150, sometimes 600, on Hover 122 with old style narrow alu masts.
At 160 lbs weight, me, it's fine.
Stiff with 65 mast, fine with 70, just ok with 90 mast and 2140.
If you're heavier, you need new c35 when going long.
Alu is fine when using short masts.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, you can run smaller stabs to get tighter turns on long fuzes.
Conversely, bigger stabs on shorter fuzes for stability.
The new masts need the new fuze.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Food for thought....
Naish reconsider 280 stab for new 95 fuze.
Used to reco 320 stab for 80 fuze.
Seems almost no problems with carbon 35 or full carbon masts.
Some older problems with alu wide masts at glued junctions.
I am not aware of any old fuze to mast problems, so why new connections?
wsmtbskate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey dllee
thanks for your help.
it turns out that the new 95 fuse has a fore aft position for the rear wing so you can make the 95 more like an 85 or 90 ? I haven't seen in person re the specific measurements but clever that you can adjust the foil like that except for the added weight.

I've been in contact with naish dealer who advised me to look at the S27 as the joint is much stiffer than the older connection. I'm almost set on getting the C35 as many online have felt the extra $ above the C100 isn't worth it.

interesting re different rear wings. Hadn't tried that but right now i have a 1150/1250 windsurf/jet with regular rear wing, while my 1800 HA takes the HA rear wing. Haven't experimented with mix and match yet.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if I were heavier than 85 kgs, or younger-stronger, I'd go newest c35, especially for foils bigger than 1650.
I kinda like the 2140 on old narrow 65 cm mast...very solid and stiff, with 310 stab. Kinda wonky with old narrow 90 mast.
Since I still windsurf twice a week, and trying wing, I need the stability of bigger stabilizers. My 210 and 270 just don't provide stability, but turns super easy and sharp.
Even after 40+ days on 1150, I still love the original 1220, the heavy 2018 model.
Funny, I seem to need a 6.0 wing......or 4.0 sail, to get up and comfy in 12-20 mph breezes. And 6.0 sail on slalom board, same wind.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 2020 aluminum 95 mast and run the HA 1800 front wing with no real issues. Naish for 2022 has changed the connection for the mast to plate and mast to fuselage. So the new masts don't fit the older versions. New wings will work. Because I do plan to foil at bird island next year I got the 2021 carbon 35 mast 95 cm for corrosion resistant. The water in the bay is pretty harsh. That and they are/were on sale at a pretty good price. I have the 1800 HA, 1400 HA and the 1150 windsurf wing. The performance is great on all the wings and that set up covers anything I want to do on foil. Often if conditions change I just change front wings. Its alot easier than re-rigging a sail. Water level is so low at our local windy lake Its been a while since I have been out so haven't use the C35 mast. I don't want to run it a ground. Might give it a go next week and see if it makes a noticeable difference. I will post my thoughts.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still on the older narrower masts, mostly 90 for windfoil, and 65 for wing. Seems fine at Berkeley. Pitch control is easier with wing.
2140 seems fine for windfoil...extremely slow with wing.
1150 and 1220 are both middle of road.
600 feels no drag but needs wind.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow isn't all bad when learning to wing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: