myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Waddell Creek sensor not reading correctly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackcat1313

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:23 pm    Post subject: Waddell Creek sensor not reading correctly Reply with quote

I was on the bluff today with my wind meter from 1 to 3:30. I was getting wind between 7 and 12 mph from the NW. Occasional small whitecaps could be seen on the water. The sensor was reading N all day below 10 mph. It is clearly not reading properly. Hopefully it can be fixed soon…
windfind

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Waddell Creek sensor not reading correctly Reply with quote

blackcat1313 wrote:
I was on the bluff today with my wind meter from 1 to 3:30. I was getting wind between 7 and 12 mph from the NW. Occasional small whitecaps could be seen on the water. The sensor was reading N all day below 10 mph. It is clearly not reading properly. Hopefully it can be fixed soon…

Hi blackcat1313,

Thanks for the report. By bluff do you mean that small parking lot bluff or do you mean the huge bluffs just north or to the south of the Waddell beach?

The winds in the Waddell area are impacted by the steep topography in the area. The north blulff tends to accelerate the NW wind but does not change its direction.

But looking at the image below you can see how the shape of the south bluff near our sensor would tend to curve the winds more northerly compared to the beach.

If you were on the south bluff near the sensor and you saw the different reading then we may have a sensor direction sensor error.

Please let me know.

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com
ikitesurf.com

Xnip2022-06-26_07-02-54.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  357.55 KB
 Viewed:  5124 Time(s)

Xnip2022-06-26_07-02-54.jpg

Last edited by windfind on Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
blackcat1313

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike - Thanks for your reply. I was on the big south bluff just below the sensor. I have been flying RC gliders there for years along with the hang glider pilots. We all use that sensor to judge wind direction as the amount of lift is very dependent on the angle. Due N is unflyable, yet yesterday was an excellent day to fly. Bill Osberg
windward1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a few times of late I have seen that sensor stuck at indicating due north, especially if the wind is less than 10 knots. All the other coastal sensors, including the Ano Nuevo sensor may say the wind is from some point near South and that one will indicate due North.
windfind

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Sensors default to reporting NORTH when they lose input. I notified sensor maintenance guys.

Mike Godsey
ikw.
blackcat1313

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike!
blackcat1313

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good now - 16 mph from 306 degrees! Thanks Mike and maintenance team!
windfind

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the maintenance team has done nothing yet. But they are tracking it.

Here is some of their recent data and a photo of the Waddell sensor. Hopefully it is just a computer glitch. It is always a hassle for us to fly in a repair team for just one sensor. But we are totally aware of the importance of this sensor for making a long drive.

If it does the N thing again use this link to verify the direction from our Tempest sensor to the south and near Año Nuevo.

https://wx.iwindsurf.com/map#37.067,-122.281,12,19

Mike

unnamed.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  168.41 KB
 Viewed:  4965 Time(s)

unnamed.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: