myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Blog: Meet Mr. upper trough & winds out East
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually when I say 18 months for construction that only means to make the house habitable. It has taken the last 20 years for things like interior trim, baseboard caulking etc. done. Too many other passions got in the way hence the slow pace once we moved in.

It was the 3rd. house I had designed and built in 12 years so I was getting fairly competent.

Such is the life of a college professor... overpaid and underworked so lots of free time for the important stuff: windsurfing, photography, building houses, forecasting, writing incomprehensible wind blogs etc. etc.

Mike Godsey
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As my tee shirt says,
"Windsurfing [or other passions] is Life.
The rest is details."
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sitting here, wind-starved and packed to hit the road, looking at the Arlington wind graphs averaging 24 mph (casual 5.4 wind). I'm not driving because I'm fed up with wasting my time and gas chasing what almost always turns out to be 500 yards of wind shadow between me and wildly varying winds on the far (Arlington) side.

Thank you, iW and other forecasters, for letting us know when that's expected, as your data do not make that distinction.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to ask, why go to Roosevelt and watch the wind at a distance on the other side of the river? Why not just go to Arlington instead?

Another thought, why not buy a small power boat, launch it at Roosevelt and then motor over to the Oregon side. As I recollect, there is a small harbor on the Arlington side to park the boat while sailing.
windfind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have to ask, why go to Roosevelt and watch the wind at a distance on the other side of the river? Why not just go to Arlington instead?

Hi swchandler,

The photos below are partially the answer. Skill levels are also part of the answer.

Also driving the WA side on the way you can easily check out Dougs, The Wall even Rufus on the way to Roos.

Plus for family Roos has restrooms, lawn rigging, shady areas, huge launch and landing areas, wind protection, social ambiance and you can comfortably spend the night without kids spinning donuts in the parking lot with their cars.

But, I agree with you, if your only priority is sailing go to Arlington.

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com

Roos vs Atown2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  604.36 KB
 Viewed:  5172 Time(s)

Roos vs Atown2.jpg

isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've launched at more than 70 sites on the Columbia River, and Arlington's was and is by far the most difficult launch I've ever seen before or since my lack of balance rendered it prohibitive. GREAT location for many reasons, but getting in and out of the water is a nightmare for equally many reasons. If that were my only option, I'd stop windsurfing.

That is NOT the fault of the City of Arlington, which wants to develop a world-class WSing destination park on THEIR island. The fault rests 100% on the misguided shoulders of the Corps of Engineers, Fish & Game, and the tribes, all of whom said explicitly and repeatedly that ANY modifications to the littoral (land-water) interface (i.e., the launch) would kill most of the fish in the river*.

This isn't rumor, and it's sure as hell not a joke. I officially represented the CGWA in the decisive meeting on the island among the Corps, the City, the tribes, and Fish & Game, all of whom wanted our launch to be IN the marina. I pointed out why that was an impossible launch for WSing, and counterproposed the present launch site. Everyone agreed right then and there, and Arlington very quickly did a great job despite having their hands tied behind their backs.

* Yet they dredge, they (probably rightfully) obliterated up the White Salmon Dam, and now many forces want to obliterate the Snake River dams ... with some Columbia River dams likely not far behind. As usual, it's primarily political, with almost no science to back it up and plenty to oppose it. (No, I'm not going to debate it. Have fun wid dat, but it's not going to happen in my lifetime anyway, I got bigger fish to fry, and I Got Mine*.)

* I can't stress strongly enough to serious sailors to take crap like this into account when deciding when to retire. I haven't regretted for one minute or one dollar my decision to walk away from my engineering career at 45 when and because it got in the way of windsurfing.

As for Roosevelt's restrooms, lawn, shade, huge launch and landing areas, and wind protection ... they're fast becoming history. The restrooms and water supply are closed indefinitely, the once-beautiful lawn is nearly dead (no water), the shade and windbreak trees are succumbing to beavers explicitly because the Corps removed the beaver fencing Randy and I put on every tree in the park with Corps oversight, the score of windblock trees Randy and I planted are also succumbing to beavers, the WSing launch path is five feet wide, and the Corps gave greenhorns chain saws with instruction to destroy most reachable limbs (despite offers from arborists to manage -- for free -- the trimming to optimize tree health.)
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn. Just when expectations of WSW winds out east got my juices flowing, iW throws up this all-important tweak this evening (thank you): WNW winds will continue across the bluffs, especially across the Corridor and Near East favoring the Oregon side, the Washington side will be up and down all day.

$#!+! Let me know how it was. Unless something changes, I'll accompany my wife to the gym at 6:30 AM Friday.
vientomas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good! One less vehicle in the parking lot and one less person lawnmowing the swell!
boggsman1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there was a measurement for sailing quality/site enjoyment Arlington would score a 1 out of ten. Conversely Stevenson would score a 10.
victor7468

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:41 am    Post subject: victortheinflictor.com Reply with quote

I have it down, give me a look every morning to compare, bookmark my site. I post a precise.. simple to understand forecast every morning, with a picture from my porch in LYLE showing what's necessary.... the cloudline, if any. I also post a noon update with another picture so you can compare and make your own call. I'll give you relevant data..not BS or babble... I'm not a graduate "meteorologist"... but I am an "EXPERT"... with a good track record of 37 yrs of wind forecasting here in the GORGE. Thanks, VTI
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: