myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Bring back the IW classifieds!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
evanwambeke

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:24 am    Post subject: Bring back the IW classifieds! Reply with quote

Many of us rely on the IW classifieds for our used gear and we're paying members of IW. I just purchased a used board two weeks ago. Please bring the classifieds back.

From IW

"iWindsurf Classifieds are no longer available.

We are focusing our full resources on providing iWindsurf members the highest-quality real-time wind reports, and the most accurate wind forecasts available anywhere."
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Bring back the IW classifieds! Reply with quote

evanwambeke wrote:
1. Many of us rely on the IW classifieds for our used gear and we're paying members of IW. Please bring the classifieds back. (From IW: "iWindsurf Classifieds are no longer available.")

2. We are focusing our full resources on providing iWindsurf members the highest-quality real-time wind reports, and the most accurate wind forecasts available anywhere."

1. Further demonstration that iW is more concerned about glitz and flash than solving real problems. I was really counting on posting several top notch items for sale after that last swap meet*, but now that very useful option is gone due to lack of iW interest. It doesn't take a meteorologist to manage the classifieds; a high-school kid could and probably would do it in return for a computer upgrade.

* Many buyers expect or even demand that swap meet private sellers sell prime gear at CGW2 prices (e.g., a solid $800 carbon boom for $40). I'll do that only when I flat cannot WS any more. Until then, our only remaining options seem to be (a) raise holy hell with iW and (b) post our "FOR SAIL" stuff in the forums. For the first time in many years, I've pretty much decided to ignore the rest of this season's swap meets, as I'm a seller now.

2. Surely they jest. Of the near-dozen government, commercial, and free-lance forecasters and models we have available free or at MUCH lower prices, iW's forecast credibility is middlin' at best, often wildly out of touch.

There are at least two reasons for that, at least here in the Gorge (I don't know how well they do elsewhere.). One, predicting wind at specific sites in this topography is clearly a powerful challenge.

Two, I've heard credible reports that their Gorge wind forecasters have never been to the Gorge, that they live back east (No, not Arlington; we're talking the midwest and/or eastern U.S.). i.e., they phone it in. To their credit, though, they very often and very clearly emphasize the kiss of death: "NW cant", "mostly on the Oregon side", or even "Stay AWAY from the Wall and Roosevelt". People are listening, and what used to be mobs out east are sometimes just 3 or 4 sailors lately, for good reason.

I've guzzled 80 gallons of gasoline this season solely in search of (aka ISO ... heh, heh) WSing for only one hour of WSing. Sure, other problems include my health, the reigning wind direction and consistency, and the dominant pattern the past few years of a week of nada punctuated by one day of extremely gusty near-gale-force ripslog, but much of it has been forecast inaccuracy. I now use iW for just three things: the deal-breaking, ubiquitous, and invaluable NW cant warning*; the Arlington wind speed (of little and ever-decreasing value when the Roosevelt wind shadow is prohibitive); and this forum (to everyone's delight, I'm sure.)

* Today's much appreciated midday update will save me and the planet 20 gallons of gas and keep me from sweltering in the heat for nothing: "Afternoon westerlies will continue to see up and down behavior on the Washington side as our WNW gradient builds, causing westerlies to favor the Oregon side of the river."

I hope the rest of the country is doing better, and I'm DAMNED glad I bought a kayak.
mmclimbhigh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree.... this is a lost resource for us. I have a handful of nice fins, a mast, mast and sail bags, etc. all former purchases on the iW classified page. Located on the edge of the desert, far away from salt water, those classified's were a valuable source. It's not as though we have a store anywhere close to here...Bummer
ranger13

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:38 am    Post subject: classified ads Reply with quote

Folks should only be able to post ads if they are paid members. That would cut out 95% of scammers. I understand there is an issue due to revenue with ads, but I believe there should be a way to set it up for members only. I have sold and bought a lot of gear through the ads.
katiedog

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1
katiedog

+1
katiedog

+1
katiedog

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can appreciate the manpower aspects of policing scammers in the classifieds and the forums. Why, though, are the archives SEARCH function results limited to just 3 or 4 months now? Why throw away years of valuable and/or interesting discussion?
us85

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: