myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Beginners need advice
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
corneskinkcoetzee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now im finally starting to get an idea of what i need, finding the gear second hand is proving to be an right bastard in Sicily, so i might just go with new and get a hybrid board for fin and foil, mayne i could get some used sails and a rig but board, fin and foil i cant get in used but good condition
Any suggestions on where to order from in Italy?
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, all of this is very good advice from the perspective of each person that replied. A lot of us started way back when (1980) and lived through the progression of windsurfing knowledge and gear. No lessons or you tube to help out. Why do what we did when you can spend some cast and get a lesson. It might save you money in the long run. You might find out that foiling is exactly what you want to do or not. Just learning how to properly get a foil board and sail into and out of the water can save frustration.. Just doing that was difficult for me at first. Because I had 30 plus years of windsurfing, once I got the gear in, by the end of the first day I was flying across the lake. No major crashes. My point is learning the basic skills needed to foil can be learned in one good lesson from a good instructor.
Last thought. There is a simplicity to wing foiling. No boom, mast or extension to deal with. Rigging time is about the same. De-rigging is way easier and faster with a wing. Also transportation and storage is by far the biggest advantage of winging. Lots of used gear available from the wind coward..
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More used winging gear around here
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiteworld Italy has everything.
I find winging difficult. Could jibe a 85 liter windsurf board in 2 weeks, a 6' directional kiteboard in 10 days, and wing foil jibes ZERO after my 10th day up on foil. 2140 front wing.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of windsurfing, but seemingly, others feel differently.

With a single lesson, you can be a wing-foiler and simply avoid the hassle and frustration of learning to windsurf on your own. No boom, mast, extension or universal nonsense to screw with, and just think how much money you can save. Windsurfing is so over these days.
corneskinkcoetzee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive had some suggestions that i should buy a windsurf hybrid foiling board and get a wing and windsurf rig too, that way i can do it all, what kind of board would i be looking at?
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it "all" board is making a small compromise for each of the wind sports.
That said, some of these newer boards offer a Tuttle box for windsurfing and the adjustable twin track foil mount. That is the only board I would get to do all three. The longer the foil mount track the better. In wind foiling you need the foil more back. Winging more toward the front. Foot strap position is different for each also. Look for a board with lots of foot strap inserts.
Trying to learn to much to soon might become frustrating. If you get one of these boards, stick with one sport until you get the basics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: