myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Really true? Free paddleboard/Surfboard baggage to/from CA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailwave

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:06 pm    Post subject: Really true? Free paddleboard/Surfboard baggage to/from CA Reply with quote

It has been a while since I traveled with gear, been renting for years, but now I paddle board, wing foil and windsurf pending conditions. That is alot of rental gear. Heading to Maui soon. Just checked the United site, it says free two surfboards, wakeboards or paddle boards if < 115 inches and packed in one bag. Thinking about taking a paddle board +wingfoilboard + foil+ wings in a windsurfing coffin bag. Will call the wingfoil board(5'8") another paddle board if they ask. Anybody tried this? Is it really free? BTW, the winsurfing equipment is not free and they do call it out separately. https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/baggage/sports-equipment.html

temp33.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  114.84 KB
 Viewed:  7360 Time(s)

temp33.JPG

capetonian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I flew to SFO from MCO in July on United and it worked. Note that they will charge you an overweight fee if it is over 50 pounds, only the oversize fee is waived.
sailwave

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

capetonian wrote:
Yes, I flew to SFO from MCO in July on United and it worked. Note that they will charge you an overweight fee if it is over 50 pounds, only the oversize fee is waived.
Interesting that the United website says 99 lbs is ok.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would bring a copy of their policy with you to the airport both ways. I wouldn't depend on the check-in personnel to be fully informed.
SPQR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with the above post. United in Kauai wouldn’t let me check in a roller bag until I pulled a sail out and it went under 90 lbs.
sailwave

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
I would bring a copy of their policy with you to the airport both ways. I wouldn't depend on the check-in personnel to be fully informed.
Great suggestion!
sailwave

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to just take a 8'6" paddle board. I checked in online and tried the odd large baggage button, it tried to charge me $200. I quit that and online rechecked in and declared standard luggage < 50lb. I got to the airport and did the kiosk for getting my bagagge tags. I went to the baggage check and they just took it without a word and it got a "priority" tag with a special cart and person to deliver it to the loading station. So civilized.....United forever to Maui!
sailwave

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A subtle correction here, it is not free unless you have status on United and get free checked bags normally. If you dont have status for free bag check, it will cost you the standard checked baggage, about $40. On the way back to SFO from Maui, there was no problem as well, but did take longer to get it checked because they had a mandatory explosive swipe test for large items. In Maui the normal xray for explosive check can not take a surfboard thru it so they need to do it manually.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: