myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wing foiling at Bird Island Basin , Texas
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamesschmitt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:05 pm    Post subject: Wing foiling at Bird Island Basin , Texas Reply with quote

What size mast for wing foiling is recommended? I currently use a 85 cm mast here on Maui , but I fear that it may be too long for the LaGuna . Thx in advance .
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go to south Padre in April. This area of the bay is very effected by tides.
Even in the high end, 85 cm would be pushing it. You would need to walk a long way out to be safe. One of the best foilers here on the central coast (ranger 13) spends April at bird island. He rides a 90cm mast and has no issue. He told me that it is just a short walk to the deeper water. He has not had much of a weed issue that time of year. That said, he went one time in the late summer. He said the weed were so bad thar he could not foil.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 4, 4 week trips to SPID, 1/2 in the sound around Oct.
Always at least waist deep, unless you're standing near shore. Mostly chest deep.
More important, very little wind waves, so a 65-70 mast length is plenty for any accomplished foiler.
Bring 85 and 65.
I've been wingfoiling high tide at Berkeley with a 65...it's doable.
jse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Only 4, 4 week trips to SPID, 1/2 in the sound around Oct.
Always at least waist deep, unless you're standing near shore. Mostly chest deep.
More important, very little wind waves, so a 65-70 mast length is plenty for any accomplished foiler.
Bring 85 and 65.
I've been wingfoiling high tide at Berkeley with a 65...it's doable.

High tide at Berkely with a 65? I would think you could get away with a much longer mast at Berkeley. Unless you are launching at the formula launch.

Steve
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, have 90 and 55, but ride feel in 1' windswell is more direct and sensitive with short masts. Haven't tried the 55 yet, so can't say.
Yes, gotta pay attention with short masts in swell, but hard short turns really show the benefits of feel and connectiveness.
Using small stabs, for front wing size, but have not tried a 55 cm Fuze yet.
It's all compromises.
For fast windfoil, I use 79 fuse, 600 front, 210 stab, and 90 mast.
But I'm a kook at wingfoil, go really slow, and just try to ride windsurf from Lordship down to near Ashby beach...in slow motion.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, as you know, I'm kinda one dimensional in windsurfing, which I still do once a week, but as age creeps up and up, the appeal of speed and crashing at speed is losing it's luster.
Kinda like spending too much time chasing big surfing waves, and now finding appeal with fun boards and waist high mushburgers.
jse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Steve, as you know, I'm kinda one dimensional in windsurfing, which I still do once a week, but as age creeps up and up, the appeal of speed and crashing at speed is losing it's luster.
Kinda like spending too much time chasing big surfing waves, and now finding appeal with fun boards and waist high mushburgers.

I don't mind a windsurfer passing me. I like the ride. My knees do too!

Steve
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few guys here are really fast on wingfoil, using 850 sq front wings up to 1325 for the bigger guys. They go almost as fast as freeride windsurf speeds, but crashes are explosions, not for me.
I windfoil using 600 and 1150 front wings, which are slower.
I still have 84, 100, and 111 liter slalom boards.
Most fun is flat water and 20-25 mph winds on the old Naish Freeride 8'6"85 liter board.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Wing foiling at Bird Island Basin , Texas Reply with quote

jamesschmitt wrote:
What size mast for wing foiling is recommended? I currently use a 85 cm mast here on Maui , but I fear that it may be too long for the LaGuna . Thx in advance .

It depends a bit on the size of your board, and how far down it sinks when you start. A 71 cm mast will work with a board that +- floats you should work most days, although there are a couple of hidden rocks (or perhaps cages) that can be hit with a 71 cm mast when foiling low. 85 cm masts work only if the water level is sufficiently high, or you have near-perfect height control, or you know exactly where to go.

Sea grass can be an issue year-round. In the winter, easterlies are usually fine, but northerly wind make foiling no fun. That can happen even if the wind is too southerly (S-SSE). But Corpus Christi Bay, which at least in the winter is weed free, is not far, and offers some swell.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsurfers use weed fins at Bird and SPID, so weeds are a consideration at all seasons.
Oleander and N Beach is more weed free in fall/winter, but tidal heights need monitoring, as winter seems to present more extreme tides.
Several fall days at Orleander required 300 yard sand walks out to knee deep waters to beachstart.Those days would require a 45 mast at Bird.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: