myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Foil Mast Length / Weeds - Bird Island Basin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyle1100

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:46 am    Post subject: Foil Mast Length / Weeds - Bird Island Basin Reply with quote

Hi, Does anyone have experience foiling @ Bird Island Basin? I know weeds can be an issue? What is the longest mast that you can consistently get a way with? I am planning a possible trip to SPI this spring. Stopping in at Bird would be ideal to work on wind foil and wing foil upwind transitions. I understand avoiding shallower areas, etc. In SPI, i will ride in the gulf as the bay is too shallow (unless very short) as I did foil there 5 years ago. I know Bird is a bit deeper. Thank You!!!
skate64

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We went in November and bought 62 cm masts just for the trip but we ended up using our normal 82 cm masts the whole trip. you can check the tides here, https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/waterlevels.html?id=8776139
and if the tide is over a foot, a long mast seems to be ok. as for weeds, when it blew north, they were a drag literally, but the normal southerly winds were not bad. not sure if they are a problem in the spring time. I'd get a short mast just in case, especially when you go and have such a good time, you'll want to go back.
kyle1100

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent info, than you for response. Someone else with experience there recommended a 70ish to work in most all tides and avoid the grass on the bottom. Your advice falls in line.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend goes to bird every April to foil. He told me that a 90cm works fine for him. Weeds are not an issue unless the wind is north. Summertime is a no go with weed matts floating everywhere. After years of windsurfing trips to South Padre, I am going to Bird Island this April to learn to wing foil. I'll be the guy crashing all the time. Stop by and say hi. Tony white f150
kyle1100

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to know. I have a 92 but was thinking adding a shorter if I do go. Great place to learn for sure. Used bird and SPI for many years to learn windsurf freestyle. Now want to use it for foil. Had a rule of first day only of going back and forth/mowing the lawn and then fall as required to learn everyday going forward. So easy to get going again with shallow and no rolling swell. Hope to see ya there!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: