myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Candlestick State Park and TI updates
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmoecho

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:37 pm    Post subject: Candlestick State Park and TI updates Reply with quote

Some good news here!

Candlestick state park is talking about building the new gate from Hunterspoint Expressway,
somewhere in March-April. Also, they are talking about extending the hours to 7pm.

TI Tolling project is on hold. City is looking for some other funding to finance the transportation on the island.
Goodwind

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If budget is not a problem, there is no reason why the State Park closes early. Since last October, the park has used a private security company instead of park rangers to manage the opening and closing of the park. The main entrance to the park has not been accessible since the December rain and subsequent flood, but the section up the hill is open till 4PM. A few days ago I asked a security guard why he can't keep the park open till 5PM, like the main section, so that we can use the parking for sailing. He replied that it's up to the park. He'd close it at 9PM if that's what the park wants to do. Previously, the State Park claimed that they're short staffed as the reason to close the park early.

My second hand info from the park is that the main section will open in about a week after the city removed the flood water. But we're due to have more rain next week. I'm not optimistic.
radross

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long Post: I would not characterize the TI toll project as on hold. The San Francisco County Transportation Agency (SFCTA) recently proposed to The Treasure Island Mobility Management Agency (TIMMA) board approval to seek a grant of $6.5M, for among other items to pay for the toll fast-track-like infrastructure and the on-island shuttle.

The on-island shuttle plan, created by an entity calling itself "One Treasure Island," funded and controlled by the Treasure Island Development Authority (TIDA), is really problematic. Despite attending a number of meetings, the On-Island shuttle will not go anywhere near the end of Avenue I/the ramp on the N.E. corner of the island, or anywhere along the north perimeter path. Much concern that this is foretelling that access will not be available for boardsailors needing to park and access the ramp. This is despite (1) parking and access to the ramp are expressly stated in the Bay Conversation Development Commissions 2006 Bay Plan and (2) is contrary to the language in the 2014 Trust Exchange Agreement between the State Land Commission and TIDA that in exchange for title to the land to build residences it would not only enhance recreation on the north side of the island but also not interfere with uses.

The next TIMMA committee meeting is 3/14 and the full board meets on 3/21. Can submit public comments in advance.

The BCDC says it will require at least a hearing on amending the current permit before allowing a toll. However, no indication of when or if the SFCTA/TIMMA has applied for the amendment.

As a group, we really need to email public comments to the BCDC and the SLC. Boardsailors and wingers have really gotten the staff's attention. I know it is exhausting and TIDA and TIMMA are like zombies that just keep coming at our access, but the public comments to both the BCDC and SLC are getting us some traction.

The next BCDC meeting is 3/2/23: https://www.bcdc.ca.gov/cm/2023/03-02-agenda.html. Click on the link for how easy it is to send a simple email comment or join by Zoom.

The next SLC meeting is 2/28/23: : https://slcprdwordpressstorage.blob.core.windows.net/wordpressdata/2023/02/02-28-23_Agenda.htm. Again super easy to submit public comments either by email or attend by zoom.
johnarmitage

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ross, FYI I'm getting a "page not found" page for your first link.

If you go to "Calendar" > "Commission Meetings" you can see it

Ross, are the meetings held at 1pm per the previous meeting minutes?

If you are attending live, can you mail out a reminder to this list as soon as the agenda and link are made available?

Thanks as always for being our point man on this. All that concrete was meant to last.
cosmoecho

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radross wrote:
Long Post: I would not characterize the TI toll project as on hold. The San Francisco County Transportation Agency (SFCTA) recently proposed to The Treasure Island Mobility Management Agency (TIMMA) board approval to seek a grant of $6.5M, for among other items to pay for the toll fast-track-like infrastructure and the on-island shuttle.

The on-island shuttle plan, created by an entity calling itself "One Treasure Island," funded and controlled by the Treasure Island Development Authority (TIDA), is really problematic. Despite attending a number of meetings, the On-Island shuttle will not go anywhere near the end of Avenue I/the ramp on the N.E. corner of the island, or anywhere along the north perimeter path. Much concern that this is foretelling that access will not be available for boardsailors needing to park and access the ramp. This is despite (1) parking and access to the ramp are expressly stated in the Bay Conversation Development Commissions 2006 Bay Plan and (2) is contrary to the language in the 2014 Trust Exchange Agreement between the State Land Commission and TIDA that in exchange for title to the land to build residences it would not only enhance recreation on the north side of the island but also not interfere with uses.

The next TIMMA committee meeting is 3/14 and the full board meets on 3/21. Can submit public comments in advance.

The BCDC says it will require at least a hearing on amending the current permit before allowing a toll. However, no indication of when or if the SFCTA/TIMMA has applied for the amendment.

As a group, we really need to email public comments to the BCDC and the SLC. Boardsailors and wingers have really gotten the staff's attention. I know it is exhausting and TIDA and TIMMA are like zombies that just keep coming at our access, but the public comments to both the BCDC and SLC are getting us some traction.

The next BCDC meeting is 3/2/23: https://www.bcdc.ca.gov/cm/2023/03-02-agenda.html. Click on the link for how easy it is to send a simple email comment or join by Zoom.

The next SLC meeting is 2/28/23: : https://slcprdwordpressstorage.blob.core.windows.net/wordpressdata/2023/02/02-28-23_Agenda.htm. Again super easy to submit public comments either by email or attend by zoom.

Thank you for your update Ross! I was hoping you will bring more light on this situation.
While probably now not many people use iwindsurf forum (I could be wrong), lets keep on posting the updates here as well and requests to actions. Like TIMMA zombies Smile

BTW do you think that the access is compromised because the shuttle will not be getting there, meaning no road and no parking will be there?
cosmoecho

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnarmitage wrote:
Hey Ross, FYI I'm getting a "page not found" page for your first link.

If you go to "Calendar" > "Commission Meetings" you can see it

Ross, are the meetings held at 1pm per the previous meeting minutes?

If you are attending live, can you mail out a reminder to this list as soon as the agenda and link are made available?

Thanks as always for being our point man on this. All that concrete was meant to last.

Working link is https://www.bcdc.ca.gov/cm/2023/03-02-agenda.html.
Public comments can be sent over the email address publiccomment@bcdc.ca.gov.
cosmoecho

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodwind wrote:
If budget is not a problem, there is no reason why the State Park closes early. Since last October, the park has used a private security company instead of park rangers to manage the opening and closing of the park. The main entrance to the park has not been accessible since the December rain and subsequent flood, but the section up the hill is open till 4PM. A few days ago I asked a security guard why he can't keep the park open till 5PM, like the main section, so that we can use the parking for sailing. He replied that it's up to the park. He'd close it at 9PM if that's what the park wants to do. Previously, the State Park claimed that they're short staffed as the reason to close the park early.

My second hand info from the park is that the main section will open in about a week after the city removed the flood water. But we're due to have more rain next week. I'm not optimistic.

Sadly budget is a problem. This year the budget to California State Parks is being cut by 40% for all parks for the next three years.
radross

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLC public meeting is at 10:00 a.m., on Tuesday, February 28, 2023.
BCDC public public meeting is at 1:00 p.m., on Thursday, March 2, 2023.

Each can be attended by either zoom or phone-in.

Also, if you email public comments in advance it goes into the public record, and as I understand, at least at the BCDC it will be included in the supplemental agenda packet for the Commission members.

The TIMMA meetings public comments can be phoned in. My experience has been mixed with this. There is a process involving keying the # 2x's on your phone to get in the line to make a public comment remotely by phone. It has proved slightly confusing, but not a reason to give up. When the operator un-mutes you, you have no idea if it is working or not, and the video feed to observe through the internet on SFgov TV is delayed. In contrast, the TIMMA board members and SFCTA staff are attending by Zoom, plus they only release their agenda 72 hours in advance, or on late Friday p.m., for a Tuesday meeting. All complies with Brown Act public meeting requirements, but it is seemingly designed to curb participation, IMO.

The best source for figuring out how to comment is googling SLC, BCDC, SFCTA, and TIMMA and then clicking through to the "meetings" where they have instructions.

With respect to the access to the ramp/end of Avenue I, I do think it is of concern that the on-island shuttle will not go there, not that it will ever realistically accommodate recreational interests that require gear even though we are supposed to take public transit to the island to avoid the toll.

The original TIDA plans reflect a "boardsailing park" at the end of Ave I adjacent to the ramp. I believe more recent plans, including some flashed at a TIDA/SPUR meeting by their landscape architect reflect the entire north side of the island will be a "wilderness" area. Tom G., may have screen captured this.

As to who reading this forum, I'm unsure. However, if any of the windsurfers here are cross-germinating with the wingers that recently "discovered" TI in large numbers, please let them know we need their public comments to the BCDC, SLC, and SFCTA. Staff at each of these entities do review the public comments and through back channels it has been said we are gaining some traction. There may be a winger facebook page, if anyone is using that FB thing.
radross

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who still read the SF Chronicle, interesting opinion piece today about how the board of supervisors wants to remove the option of remote public comments. Confident that TIMMA and the SFCTA staff will want to do the same even though they themselves only attend the supervisor meetings by zoom.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ross-I think it is also important for us to continue using the launch regularly since it enhances the fact that this is an existing use. I like that wingers have discovered TI. Winging has in fact made it easier for me to sail Crissy so I haven't sailed out there in a while.

I lost my patience with TIDA and Navy last year when trying to advocate for them to open up the old parking lot and provides some improvements to make the launch easier. Never quite understood why public officials neither answer emails/voicemails or follow up when you finally get thru to them. I'd be fired so quickly if I conducted business like this in the private sector.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: