myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Surface temperature data on the Columbia and Yakima rivers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:08 pm    Post subject: Surface temperature data on the Columbia and Yakima rivers Reply with quote

The URLs I've used for years for daily surface temps on the Yakima River and below each dam on the Columbia are defunct. The www has been no help. Has anyone found a replacement source for either?
curvepoint@gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:09 pm    Post subject: gorge water temps Reply with quote

https://pweb.crohms.org/tmt/documents/ops/temp/
I went out a couple days ago. Still Cold, but felt more like mid 40's at the Hatchery. Maybe I am just getting acclimated!!
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Surface temperature data on the Columbia and Yakima rivers Reply with quote

Does this get you what you want?

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/monitoring-location/453712121071200/#parameterCode=00010&period=P7D

-Craig

isobars wrote:
The URLs I've used for years for daily surface temps on the Yakima River and below each dam on the Columbia are defunct. The www has been no help. Has anyone found a replacement source for either?
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: gorge water temps Reply with quote

curvepoint@gmail.com wrote:
https://pweb.crohms.org/tmt/documents/ops/temp/

Thanks. That's good for a start, but I wonder where the nice plots of daily temps at each site went?
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Surface temperature data on the Columbia and Yakima rivers Reply with quote

That's also a good start. I got that site to display data for X days and display in Fahrenheit (this IS the U.S., not Canada, last I heard*) a few days ago, but I've had no luck specifying locations on that site.

* When a U.S. corporate phone tree tells me to Press 1 For English, I email them that I will not do that in the United States. I must not be the first to tell them that, as some have stopped doing it.

cgoudie1 wrote:

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/monitoring-location/453712121071200/#parameterCode=00010&period=P7D

-Craig

isobars wrote:
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Surface temperature data on the Columbia and Yakima rivers Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

At the bottom of that page is a map of the Columbia. Red dots on that map
are active reporting stations. Click on the red dot closest to where you want a
temperature, and a pop-up balloon appears with a link in blue, click on that
link, and you'll get the data you want with graphs. Once you've found the
locations you want to monitor, save them into your favorites so that you
can get there without all the extra clicking.

-Craig

p.s. put any units you like, the way you like them before you save to favorites

isobars wrote:
That's also a good start. I got that site to display data for X days and display in Fahrenheit (this IS the U.S., not Canada, last I heard*) a few days ago, but I've had no luck specifying locations on that site.

* When a U.S. corporate phone tree tells me to Press 1 For English, I email them that I will not do that in the United States. I must not be the first to tell them that, as some have stopped doing it.

cgoudie1 wrote:

-Craig

isobars wrote:
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Surface temperature data on the Columbia and Yakima rivers Reply with quote

All I get on any red dot is No Data Available or just blank graphs.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Surface temperature data on the Columbia and Yakima rivers Reply with quote

If you get a blank graph it's because that station is no longer reporting data. I noticed the station out by where the Yakima river flows into the columbia stopped reporting in Novermber of 2022. Most of the stations in by where I care are reporting, maybe you are not so lucky, but here's one that is reporting

Yakima River at Prosser, WA - 12509489
https://waterdata.usgs.gov/monitoring-location/12509489/#parameterCode=00010F&period=P7D

-Craig

isobars wrote:
All I get on any red dot is No Data Available or just blank graphs.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some strange reason, the "Corpse" has dropped many sites used by many people for many activities "out east". The Yakima delta is a great place for any flat-water activities, and its shallow water where the Yakima joins the Columbia warms up quickly this time of the year. It's in downtown TriCities, yet very quiet and scenic, with lots of wildlife, and one can usually park within 20-30 feet of easy launches into the water. After launching, one can turn left and follow the Yakima into Richland, or turn right and onto the open Columbia. It's so close (10 minutes) that I put on my wet or dry suit at home, then undress afterwards in the shower at home ... really nice in cold weather. Knowing the air and water temps and looking out my window at the skies helps me dress right.

WSing this time of time of the year, however, means committing MUCH more time and money plus gambling on the weather and water temps at spots the Corps has dropped all over the eastern Columbia. They responded quickly to my email for help, but the minute they realized that I am an individual user rather than a conglomerate, that went nowhere fast. They don't seem concerned about the people who live to fish, even the ones who out-earn senior teachers and first responders doing it.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being that you're only 10 minutes away from the water, maybe it's time to drive down there and test a foot or two in the water. Nothing like reality to reveal whether conditions are doable or not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: