myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tomales
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:28 am    Post subject: Tomales Reply with quote

There was a post about our Tomales sensor this morning. When I tried to answer it, the entire post disappeared. Please repost question

The old Classic IW is on its last legs. The only programmers who know that ancient code are all retired or in old folks' homes or dead.

Mike Godsey
windsrf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, like some of us aging WSers.... Smile
radross

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it is "all about the ebb," before classic is gone, may we have the data for currents for certain sites (e.g., TI) made available on the windalert app?
windfind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Radross,

The main focus of Weatherflow right now is expanding sales of our consumer Tempest weather stations.

Since all 65,000 Tempest stations are networked and feed into our AI and ML modeling they have great potential for providing improved data and forecast modeling to all our military, civic and enterprise customers eg.

https://business.weatherflow.com/for-coastal#Maritime
https://business.weatherflow.com/lightning-data-solution
https://business.weatherflow.com/nearcast-technology

But we know and love our windsurfing roots. So hopefully that income will allow us to make new websites for iW, iK, Sailflow, Fishweather, TempestOne WindAlert etc. which will inclure include new and old features like currents.

Mike Godsey
gronquist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please DO NOT get rid of the Classic IWS format.
Thank you.
emcc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with gronquist:

martyrosse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1
windfind

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emcc wrote:
I'm with gronquist:

Hi emcc,

One of my passions has been to keep classic IW going. There is a reason you will rarely find a "classic" version of a website anywhere on web with the exception of craigslist.com.

HTML code has changed radically since the original iwindsurf was coded back in the 1990s. And as browsers continue to evolve using modern HTML some of the old code simply is not supported, so some old features disappear.

At the same time, the number of users of Classic IW is dwindling fast. Even the usage of this forum is dropping even though the number of people using our sites and apps is growing fast. Many people these days prefer to get their information using phone apps, not websites. (TempestWeather, Sailflow, TempestOne, FishWeather, WindAlert, iKitesurf, Wind&Weather, TempestLightningNetwork, etc)

So we will continue to support classic IW but the time will come when the evolving web standards will break the website beyond repair. Some of you remember we once had a separate version of IW that was partially Flash based. We are very lucky that we did not drop the old IW at that time.

Mike
scottm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I am still committed to the IWclassic website, I'm curious if a couple of the barriers for folks to adapt the new WindAlert format might be the lower contrast and smaller fonts...I'm not always wearing my reading glasses when checking the wind on my phone, and if I can't see the numbers, I'm frustrated (and go back to Classic). It's particularly vexing when I zoom and the numbers stay the same size (just like streetnames in google maps...argh).

Anyway, if there was some sort of canned "accessibility" features in the windalert preferences that you could point us to, it would be nice to try those.
I'd love to see bigger fonts, higher contrast, and could easily give up some of the fine detail in wind streamlines, etc.

And as you can probably guess, I'm REALLY happy with the wap.iwindsurf.com interface. That's my mobile device go-to site. I hope that's not based on legacy HTML too...probably is!
scottm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I am still committed to the IWclassic website, I'm curious if a couple of the barriers for folks to adapt the new WindAlert format might be the lower contrast and smaller fonts...I'm not always wearing my reading glasses when checking the wind on my phone, and if I can't see the numbers, I'm frustrated (and go back to Classic). It's particularly vexing when I zoom and the numbers stay the same size (just like streetnames in google maps...argh).

Anyway, if there was some sort of canned "accessibility" features in the windalert preferences that you could point us to, it would be nice to try those.
I'd love to see bigger fonts, higher contrast, and could easily give up some of the fine detail in wind streamlines, etc.

And as you can probably guess, I'm REALLY happy with the wap.iwindsurf.com interface. That's my mobile device go-to site. I hope that's not based on legacy HTML too...probably is!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: