myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurf Shrink Needed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rschnur

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot of good information to think about in those posts about jibing. The problem for me when I was learning was that there is way too much to think about when jibing. I don't like thinking, I like jibing. So I decided to think about only one thing. That one thing is....

Envision the jibe as a 90 degree turn instead of a 180 degree turn.

Meaning, sail the first 45 degree turn. Jibe the middle 90 degrees and sail the last 45 degrees. So there, half of it is already done for you. You can sail from a reach to a broad-reach, and from a broad-reach to a reach already no sweat. Now all you have to do is think about the middle 90 degrees of the jibe.

But wait, if you are like me you don't like to think you like to jibe. So here's why you don't have to think about much of anything during the jibe's 90 degrees of the turn....

Your already know how to jibe. You have been doing it for years. It's just been screwed up by stretching it out into a 180 degree turn.

When you sail off the wind for the first 45, it does these things for you automatically without thinking. It gives you the speed you need. Your weight is more upright over the board. You are up off the rail and have lighter feet that are easier to step around in the jibe. The board is flatter on the water, freer to carve that inside rail. And you have 1/4 of the turn around completed.

The last 45 degrees is even easier. You're on a plane. Good power in your sail. You can easily turn upwind into a reach, hook in and get into the straps. The last 1/4 of the turn around easily completed.

So now the middle 90 degrees of the jibe. All the things you've had to think about will work much more easily as you are guided to sheet in a little, put a little downward force on the boom to keep the bent-knee lean foreward, carve the rail and flip the sail. All those details will start falling into place much more quickly on their own as you are thinking about only one thing while you are jibing. And that is to envision completing the jibe 45 degrees off the wind on your new tack. Not going all the way around to head back to where you came from.

At this point, 45 degrees off the wind, you're weight is still relatively upright over the board and light on your feet. You are still on a plane, in control and ready to head up wind on your new tack. Or better yet, gain a little speed on your broad-reach and you are in the perfect setup to initiate a jibe the opposite direction. Continue to make planing 90 degree jibes down the beach as you have recently realized you are a jibe master, and you want the world to know.

The idea of jibing 90 degrees instead of 180 degrees isn't a new one. My point is really to not over think it, and buzzkill you sesh with mental anguish. If I wanted to think about stuff, I'd still be at work not out on the water with a silly grin on my face.

Rick
(Not a shrink, but I did stay at a Holiday-Inn Express last night)
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know for a guy that doesn't think much about jibing, you sure
have spent some tme breaking it down ;*)

I agree, on the water, having all that go through your head is not
the way to complete a jibe.

-Craig

rschnur wrote:
There's a lot of good information to think about in those posts about jibing. The problem for me when I was learning was that there is way too much to think about when jibing. I don't like thinking, I like jibing. So I decided to think about only one thing. That one thing is....

Envision the jibe as a 90 degree turn instead of a 180 degree turn.

Meaning, sail the first 45 degree turn. Jibe the middle 90 degrees and sail the last 45 degrees. So there, half of it is already done for you. You can sail from a reach to a broad-reach, and from a broad-reach to a reach already no sweat. Now all you have to do is think about the middle 90 degrees of the jibe.

But wait, if you are like me you don't like to think you like to jibe. So here's why you don't have to think about much of anything during the jibe's 90 degrees of the turn....

Your already know how to jibe. You have been doing it for years. It's just been screwed up by stretching it out into a 180 degree turn.

When you sail off the wind for the first 45, it does these things for you automatically without thinking. It gives you the speed you need. Your weight is more upright over the board. You are up off the rail and have lighter feet that are easier to step around in the jibe. The board is flatter on the water, freer to carve that inside rail. And you have 1/4 of the turn around completed.

The last 45 degrees is even easier. You're on a plane. Good power in your sail. You can easily turn upwind into a reach, hook in and get into the straps. The last 1/4 of the turn around easily completed.

So now the middle 90 degrees of the jibe. All the things you've had to think about will work much more easily as you are guided to sheet in a little, put a little downward force on the boom to keep the bent-knee lean foreward, carve the rail and flip the sail. All those details will start falling into place much more quickly on their own as you are thinking about only one thing while you are jibing. And that is to envision completing the jibe 45 degrees off the wind on your new tack. Not going all the way around to head back to where you came from.

At this point, 45 degrees off the wind, you're weight is still relatively upright over the board and light on your feet. You are still on a plane, in control and ready to head up wind on your new tack. Or better yet, gain a little speed on your broad-reach and you are in the perfect setup to initiate a jibe the opposite direction. Continue to make planing 90 degree jibes down the beach as you have recently realized you are a jibe master, and you want the world to know.

The idea of jibing 90 degrees instead of 180 degrees isn't a new one. My point is really to not over think it, and buzzkill you sesh with mental anguish. If I wanted to think about stuff, I'd still be at work not out on the water with a silly grin on my face.

Rick
(Not a shrink, but I did stay at a Holiday-Inn Express last night)
whitevan01

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Rick for that excellent advice.
Four pages of forum answers, and while it was all good technical stuff, you are just about the only one who actually addressed my psychological, not technique-al, issues which is what I had originally asked for help with in, hopefully, a somewhat tongue in cheek way.

The fact that you stayed at Holiday Inn Express makes your advice even better still.

OP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: