myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hanging on for dear life
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobar. I have 32 years on the water. Been sponsored by a sail company. A team rider for a shop. During that 32 years I only worked 10 days a month. That left 20 or so to spend in search of wind. SOOOO lets not assume that your the only guy on this forum with windsurfing experience. We all give our best advice based on what we have to offer thru our years of trial and error. You need not reply.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
Isobar. I have 32 years on the water. ... We all give our best advice based on what we have to offer thru our years of trial and error.

That's exactly what I'm doing. Perhaps you're thus so good that you've forgotten how often novices get catapulted/launched (by definition, having one's back foot lifted off the deck by uncontrolled sail power), and the medical risks that imposes on front feet in straps.
keycocker

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trick for getting in your straps. Stand on one foot while sailing, then on the other for a few moments. You need to learn to stand on one foot while reaching for the strap with your other foot, but put this in two exercises.
You can only reach the straps at first when you are going fast, but most new sailors are busy at that time so they go for the straps when they slow down.
Just the front foot at first then sail until that feels comfy. Jump out when you slow down.
xander.arch

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting in the straps - front then back.
Getting out of the straps - back then front.
You can sail around with your front foot in the strap and back one out. I often do this for marginal planning conditions. Outside of a couple tricks, there is no reason for you to ever sail a single second with your back foot only in a foot strap.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all four of you ^^^^^ this thread isn't about how to get into the straps!
Let's not get side tracked, not like that ever happens Smile
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot resist. If you put your back foot forward, doesn't that make it your front foot?

;*)

-Craig

rangerider wrote:
As a physician I will agree that back foot forward is safer and I do this when overpowered. .
xander.arch

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advice on getting into the straps is certainly on target for someone learning how to control a board in high winds. More importantly, the fact that three of us corrected another's bad advice helps reinforce the right way to do it.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xander.arch wrote:
there is no reason for you to ever sail a single second with your back foot only in a foot strap.

I've presented many such reasons over the years. The doctor (rangerider) just above provided one.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xander.arch wrote:
Advice on getting into the straps is certainly on target for someone learning how to control a board in high winds. More importantly, the fact that three of us corrected another's bad advice helps reinforce the right way to do it.

So do the countless pages I and others have posted about what WE consider a very viable alternative -- even the right way -- for many people, skill levels, and conditions, supported by many of the best and most experienced sailors here and by several novices who have thanked me for getting over a strap-hump they had faced for months to years.
sergem

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am your weight, 6'2"

I will rig 6.5+105L FSW in the winds you describe.
8.0 would be OK for around 14mph average.

So, I think you're overpowered, could not sheet in, sail was unstable - all good ingredients for great workout.

Hang on, you'll get there!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: