myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fat Boys ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicolas72

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Fat Boys ? Reply with quote

The "local info" section of iwindsurf about larkspur refers to the launch that most of us use these days as Fat Boys. What's the story ???

And also :
"Parking can be very tight on weekends... on epic days..."

Today Sat. certainly qualifies as "epic". Was feeling a bit lonely from 1 to 2. Then counted maybe 5 sailors out max. Plenty of parking, don't be discouraged Sad
Ed_5.0

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larkspur was epic.

Good south flow yesterday, decided to sail Pt Isabel. It was really good there as well. Not many sailors out.

I think people were out of town vacationing...

Also Rio had a PM ebb...

Drove past PSQ after 6 and it was raging windy!
windfind

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ed & nicolas72.

In the old days when the average marine layer was far deeper fog would pour though Marin's Muir Gap and Larkspur was one of the most reliable windy place in the Bay Area. So cars were parked along the shoreline road and even on the opposite side of the highway. So it was tricky to find parking unless you arrived early.

In the last 2 decades the marine layer has become thin and thinner on the average and since Larkspur winds have to come from the highest elevation gap in the coast range the winds have become far less reliable. So there is no issue finding parking.

The original launch are at Larkspur has a very local high pressure zone right at the beach due to the hills to the north. So the winds at the launch were about 5-8 knots and straight onshore. So you had the difficult task of barely slogging while pointing several hundred feet across a busy ferry channel and then making a no wind jibe or tack and continuing to slog upwind until you got to the wind line.

As the winds became even weaker as the years passed heavier sailors learned that if you launched at the cove right at the gate of the San Quintin prison you had a better angle on your slog and a bit stronger winds. Hence the name "Fat Boys" launch.

One of the more interesting things about Larkspur other than the endless wave riding as the ferry wake hit the very shallow water was the prison tour. If you broke down and drifted to the prison you were picked up, lectured and given a ride through the prison to the gate. If it was a nice guard you were taken to the gate near where you parked. If it was a nasty guard you were take to the PSQ gate a mile away.

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com/ikitesurf.com
Weatheflow.com
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat boys....
Was Boggy out there? 235 lbs.
I never launch from up there, as I"m small, and today, FSW84 and 5.2 was super easy to get out to the first planing run, which took me above FatBoy beach for a powered jibe back up to the marsh. Did take 4 runs to clear the sticks above the ferry channel, but my fin was a 21 wave.
Didn't seem too difficult.
jse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Fat Boys ? Reply with quote

nicolas72 wrote:
The "local info" section of iwindsurf about larkspur refers to the launch that most of us use these days as Fat Boys. What's the story ???

And also :
"Parking can be very tight on weekends... on epic days..."

Today Sat. certainly qualifies as "epic". Was feeling a bit lonely from 1 to 2. Then counted maybe 5 sailors out max. Plenty of parking, don't be discouraged Sad

Nicolas, If I weren't here in Maui I'd have been there for sure! Larkspur is one of my favorite places to sail in the Bay Area, as well as Tomales and Sherman Island (As you are aware). It's hard to find a good day to practice freestyle here but I'm having fun in the waves. Say hi to the gang next time you're there.

Steve
msamols

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, thanks for the fun history lesson.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe old Steve Grasso was the first to regularly shortboard at Larkspur.
He lived in Tam Junction/Tennessee Valley, used Maui inspired gear, and told us about Larkspur in 1983, around early Sept. We sailed it twice that year, both foggy days in the Sunset District of SF, and winds stayed till just after 6PM.
Heinrich Hartz, and Kenny of course, started sailing there in '82.
nicolas72

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that's quite a story indeed thanks Mike. Beyond expectations. Wife will have a good laugh Laughing

Steve, you're right, so many great places around. Plus whales at crissy. So privileged. Take care.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunday was considered a very light day at Larkspur.
Bernard was out on his 5.7 and Fanatic Falcon, one guy at FatBoyz launch.
I got lazy, used my 84 JPFSW and 5.2, got out easy to the tules, then walked 50 feet until g/f made it over on 100 liter board, also 5.2, and planed 80% from there, tule to end of the prison, until 5:20.
Bob was out, so was the freestyler dude, and one other person total. Too light for most of the windsurfer's, but OK for 5.2 and 84 liter board.
razdog00

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone that frequents the San Quentin Yacht Club is fat, old, ugly and surly. Parking is hideous with outrageous tickets issued consistently. In fact, that is the only constant at the site since the wind is fickle, holey, and generally disappointing. Anywhere else in the Bay Area is better. Save yourselves!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: