myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
pain in lower back - harness or stance issue?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madspaniard

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: pain in lower back - harness or stance issue? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Yesterday at Berkeley Marina had a blast for 2,5 hours. Sensor at 20 knots/gusts max 24 knots.

I was on a T2 118 with an old 6.5 cambered sail (no twist in the upper end), not a lot of outhaul but didnt want to spend any second fixing it. Overpowered at times. Im 178 lbs. Waist harness.

When sailing on port tack and after just 10 minutes I noticed some pain in my left lower back/hip. Almost like it was kinked. I actually felt the same pain other days. The question is, why?

Another sailor told me to switch to a seat harness. I think this could help but Im wondering if there is also an issue with my stance sailing on port tack. Im right handed and footed meaning that my port waterstarts are perfect (Id say jumpstarts) but my starboard waterstarts are a bit weaker. Do you think I might be doing something wrong with my front foot in the straps?, maybe the harness lines or boom height? Why the pain does not happen on starboard tack?

Any advise?
duracell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: RE: pain in lower back - harness or stance issue? Reply with quote

Hi Madspaniard,
as you know Im not the most experienced guy on the planet. Hwever, what Ive noticed myself is that older sails (just as young 2000) really dont come close to anything newer. It could very well be that just because you have to fight an old monster you are doing things you shouldnt and 20 kts is going to make a sail that size have quite a bit of pull. I fully understand not giving up 1s of TOW in those conditions so one might not conciously register the bother with the sail having so much fun Smile.

It could of course have dozens of other reasons as well.
steve1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: RE: pain in lower back - harness or stance issue? Reply with quote

My first 13 years WS was with a waist harness (actually my first 5 were with no harness at all). I had back problems throughout.

My last 15 years have been with a seat harness a wide variety of good, indifferent and bloody awful sails -all without any back ache.

So I for one am a total convert to seat harnesses and I dont care if they are out of fasion.
typeA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: RE: pain in lower back - harness or stance issue? Reply with quote

I dont want to sound all doom and gloom, but I had symptoms like that earlier this year - lack of circulation in my legs after windsurfing for an hour or more, sore back, felt kinked, etc. Seemed like gusty conditions made it worse. Even used a seat harness.

About 2 months ago, just walking through the house, I sneezed and immediately fell to the floor - pinched nerve in my lower back (L5) - couldnt move at all for a half hour (except to groan and yell a few times) - arms and legs went numb.

Finally made it to a chiropractor, took x-rays, and ended up it was a bulging disc in my lower back which pinched the nerve. He said it was probably an old injury that finally gave way (I build houses).

I was laid up and not worth a darn for weeks. Tried windsurfing a week ago, and lets just say its going to take a while. If I would have caught it sooner (or paid attention to the pain), I would have probably been o.k.

My advice - go see a good chiropractor (one who will really crack ya) and at least get an x-ray. For the pain use ice on it til numb, remove, repeat in a half hour if needed. Ice pumps the muscle which helps it heal. Its supposed to be better than heat for pulled or sore muscles.

I might be a rare case, but you might want to look into it. Its working for me!
wiamea

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: RE: pain in lower back - harness or stance issue? Reply with quote

I sailed all lastyear w/ a waist harness and liked the conveniance of taking them on and off and the floatation, but I had similar problems of back pain and stomach pain. I tried wearing it tighter and looser with the same result. Im happier with a seat harness and haven;t had any problems with them. I still use the waist if Im using someone elses rig as there more forgiving with boom and varied harness lenghts.
loonie2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: RE: pain in lower back - harness or stance issue? Reply with quote

Interesting you only have the problem on one side. Ive gone with the Dakine XT harness which is a big honkin thing but really distributes the load. However, yours sounds like a case of posture or technique, otherwise Id expect you to get the pain on both sides. Just to add another idea. I do off water exercises & stretching that includes the core area (& other areas Ive hurt in the past). This not only make you more fit but teaches good posture and removes the long term strains of bad posture. As Ive had back strains in the past, I see the routine as a preventative measure that keeps me on the water longer & recovering faster.
MikeLaRonde

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: RE: pain in lower back - harness or stance issue? Reply with quote

I have had success using ice on my lower back. put it right on the spine even if the pain is further out. I think it may cause the bulging disk to recede, but who knows.
brianmiller

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: RE: pain in lower back - harness or stance issue? Reply with quote

A few years back, my wife and I both tried switching from seat to waist harnesses, and we both had back pain, so we ended up returning the waist harnesses. A couple months ago, my wife tried it again, purchasing a waist harness (Im fairly certain that she did it for fashion), and again she has back problems. I just have to resist the urge to roll my eyes...now she either has to live with the pain (but be fasionable), get a new seat harness, or take back the seat harness that she gave to her father.
steve1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: RE: pain in lower back - harness or stance issue? Reply with quote

LOL, I just went through the same thing with my 14yr old daughter. At first she would not be seen dead wearing a Diaper Harness. Now shes figured out that in this game form really does follow function and is pleading for a seat harness.
polarbear

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: RE: pain in lower back - harness or stance issue? Reply with quote

Hey Mad! Long time no see!

Whenever I use my waist harness, my back gets tired. I tend to use it when I sail small (4.9), do bumbs+jumps or when I go wavesailing, just to have more mobility with my legs. Like Steves daughter, I thought Id look way cooler wearing a waist harness LOL! Seriously, a seat harness is the best. I just upgraded my Wahine to the Seat XT (huge diaper-like) but God, its comfortable!!! I dont care if my butt looks twice as big as it already is! I can sail on huge sails for hours without problems. Thats what is important! One of my friend went through back surgery this summer, because she switched from a seat to a waist harness and injured herself...So, take care of your back (and good luck for your Big Day on the 17th Wink)!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: