myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Maui Babysitters
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pthorner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Maui Babysitters Reply with quote

We are heading to Maui for 3 weeks and now have 2 rug rats instead of one to deal with. I tried sailing with my kid in the Baby Bjorn Dunkerbeck, but found out that it is frowned on by USCG and the lifeguards. Any Maui trippers or Maui folks have any good recommendations for a babysitter for the Sprecks area? Kids are 3 years and 3 months.

Peter
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many options. Expensive: call the best hotels for their list of sitters. There are also some private services.
Less Expensive: There used to be a daycare center you could drop your kids off. May be a question of potty training at some.
Finally: Find some local mothers at the beach (my personal favorite) and ask them for #s of local babysiters. This works well, but you might want to have your wife do it if you are shy Embarassed

ps Check hotels in Wailea and large condo associations in South Kihei. Most of their sitters live in Kihei and Kahului-North shore.
THOMMA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Your Children Reply with quote

You sound like a very loving caring parent! How about this, you sail, your wife sits on the beach with the babies. Then switch, she sails. If you wanted alone time you should have done that 4 years ago. Did you really want to leave your 3 month old baby with someone you just met on a beach? Time to be a parent instead of a tourist. It can be done.
pthorner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THOMMA,

You imply that finding ways to enjoy your vacation outside of being with your kids makes one a bad parent or self centered. I'll be a great parent and I will make sure that every member of my family finds ways to really enjoy the vacation (but please don't call me a tourist).

Anyone who knows me knows that I am a very loving and dedicated parent and I spend many days at Crissy building sand castles with my kids while everyone else sails. I don't think it is abdicating my parental responsibility to try and get a few chances to sail together over 20 days (usually while the baby naps) or go out to dinner while kids are asleep.

I never talked about leaving my kids alone with someone I met on the beach, I asked for recommendations in hopes of hearing from someone about a sitter they know, have used, and could give references for. We always start slow with someone new to see how they handle things... like have them keep track of a 3 year old that is trying to climb every palm tree in sight while one of us hangs with the baby.

I think parents who are also able to also do things for themselves and each other are happier parents whose kids benefit from the fact that their mom or dad is more energized and engaged when they spend time together. I promise that I won't hire the local ice addicts to take my kids swimming.

Cheers,

Peter
beallmd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Thomma; Quite unfair. I remember some great days skiing with my wife as a break from our son whom we loved very much. It's easier at skli areas but we also hired sitters in Maui at times and was very much appreciated. Amazing what a little adult time can do for a marriage etc. Finally Pthorner is the head of the SFO boardsailing assoc and has preserved our sport too many times to count and taken the time to represent ALL OF US at major meetings-his time and expertise is invaluable. Have a great time in Maui as we always have- just be safe and come home to your kids. JB
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PT my daughter just graduated from Berkely. We used sitting services over there for both her and recently my 11 year old son. Linda Stott taught my son how to windsurf over there in her camps and school. When your kids get older that will be a very fun choice, so you can get out guilt free.

In the mean time I'm sure you are a great parent, and many of the hotel sitters are licensed and insured with police checks, and will even go to the beach with you. Try to get a fullsize van and park under a tree so the kids can sleep, and you can change diapers. Definitely go to Mamas, and sail the N. shore. There are many sitters who live on the N. Shore. Have a great trip! If you have any problems PM me and I'll make some calls for you.
sergem

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Employing a babysitter to sail is NOT a sign of bad parenthood!

Have a great vacation, Peter!

(enviously wishing to be able sail with my better half Smile )
mamalam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

I did an extensive on this topic for our previous Maui trips.

Hotels have childcare services. Their rate is $15-20 per hour and SOME of the sitters/nannies are willing to come to your location of choice. These tend to be on the expensive side since they know you are on vacation and willing to pay for the free time.

Other options include:

1. Search and post under craisglist.org for Hawaii. Make sure you list Maui in your posting, as I received several replies from the Big Island. You could do the same under craigslist.org for your city of residency.
2. www.PatchHawaii.org This organization offers lists of accredited daycares and their contact information. Their rates are very reasonable but some of them can't guarantee you a spot since it's on the last minute drop in basis
3. Fly your sitter/nanny/relative over -- peace of mind and he/she might appreciate the opportunity.
4. Take turns -- peace of mind but can't sail together and might habor resentment on those very nice wind.
5. Local moms from the beaches did not work out well for us.

It's either your money or your time. Generally speaking, the more you're willing to pay, the easier it would be to find qualified care providers.

After much discussion, we elected to fly our nanny over for one week, took turns the other week. All of us had a wonderful time and our muscles were sore enough to need a break afterward.

Have a great time. Let me know if you need additional info.

Linh
pthorner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for some great tips everyone. I also found Maui Playcare (www.mauiplaycare.com/) online where our 3 year can hang out with other kids and hit the mini climbing wall while we make the shopping runs. He loves his gang at home, so it will be cool for him to have another place to hang with kids his age. We also tend to go up to the playground at the 4th Marine Division Memorial Park that is uphill a few miles from the Haiku Marketplace where they have a very cool play structure. I'll tear up a wave for each of you.

Cheers,

Peter
mamalam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,

Maui Play Care looks good. Thanks.

The tidal pools inside at Hokipa are great for kids his age -- just load (and reload) him up with tons of sun block, a hat, and shades. The sand will keep him company for a long time. K-Mart has tons of cheap beach toys so you don't have to lug from home.

A little farther away, before you reach Lahaina, there is a well protected, safe, and good size tidal pool inside of a nice and popular surfing beach (I forgot the name) where he can boggie board/surf board, etc. Plenty of shade with pinic tables and rest rooms. Good hang out spot on calm mornings and a change of pace.

At Kanaha, he spent hours collecting nuts dropped from the trees and "mowed" the lawn with his new lawn mower purchased from K-mart. He also found a visiting babe from SF, his age, to chase around for a couple afternoons. Of course, he went nuts at the Maui Ocean center. At the airport, he didn't want to leave and refused to put on his shirt, saying he was in Maui and didn't need one (He was only 2!!!) We were slightly embarrased but proud of his enjoyment.

The baby will grow well with the fresh air and warm temperature.

All of you will have a great time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: