myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Maui Babysitters
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beallmd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The park near Lahaina is Launiapoko, it is where I go to surf, an advanced beginners spot for surfing. If your 3 yr old can hold his breath and is comfortable in water, you can take him to Ulua Beach in Wailea. Put him on a boogie board and put on a mask and have him hold his breath and with your help he can actually snorkel and see many fish in shallow safe waters with lots of kids to play with and make sand castles etc. Spent many days there. Go early, as early as possible, to get parking and a good spot, it does get crowded, and the wind comes up. One great family beach. Truth is I really miss those days.
tmmaui

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Babysitting services Reply with quote

Launiopoko Beach Park, near Lahaina is perfect for kids and their parents (see photos at http://www.tmmaui.com/2008Beaches1.html). It's popular with long boarders and SUP'ers. Go early (or late) on weekends for a good parking spot or park on the other side of the highway.

Linda Stott was great at finding babysitters through her extensive networking ability. Unfortunately for us, she and her family have moved to Australia. David and Susie Dorn of Action Sports Maui have taken over the Kids Camps program from Linda and Hugh. They might be another source of babysitters available on Maui since they employ a lot of teenagers and young adults for their summer programs (as does HST).

All of my kids spent a lot of time at Kanaha Beach Park as they grew up with windsurfing parents (some eventually became babysitters at Kanaha). It is a great park for kids from newborns to teenagers. It sorta forces the windsurfing parents with kids-in-tow to spend a lot of time at Kanaha rather than at Sprecks or Ho'okipa (I could think of worse things than having to go to Kanaha). The best spot at Kanaha for kids is the upper, or last, parking lot which has lots of trees, grassy areas, is protected from the wind/blowing sand, and has showers and bathroom facilities.

A couple of other places to ask about babysitting services are the shops like Hi-Tech, Neil Pryde Maui, Kanaha Kai, or Second Wind. At $15-20 per hour, shop employees may even take on babysitting jobs themselves (they'll certainly make more money than say a photographer does).

Good luck and have fun while in Maui.
factcheck

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few points must be corrected in this post.

1. The SFBA doesn't represent 90% of windsurfers, about 1% of recreational water users on a good day.
2. Putin actually had a few votes to become president, unlike the SFBA President who had no votes, self appointed!
3. Putin has had more elections than the SFBA in the last 10 years, and at least he has a set of vague rules, unlike the SFBA.
4. Before claiming the SFBA represents anyone it would be wise to check the members views, a look back at recent events (TI - for example, one of many) show that they are about as in touch as GW.
5. This might as well be the Crissy field club of 8, much more accurate.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xx

Last edited by rigatoni on Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Epenrose

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THOMMA

Maybe you should read Peter's question before posting. He asked for babysitters not a random meth head on the beach.

Back to grade 1 reading & interpretation for you.

Children learn by example. See a parent exercising and taking care of themselves tend to do the same, wish I had that a lot earlier.

If cappicela had the same example he could probably jibe by now, possibly.....
tsokat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by tsokat on Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think someone needs a little Aloha!

Last edited by MalibuGuru on Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
pthorner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

factcheck wrote:
A few points must be corrected in this post.

1. The SFBA doesn't represent 90% of windsurfers, about 1% of recreational water users on a good day.
2. Putin actually had a few votes to become president, unlike the SFBA President who had no votes, self appointed!
3. Putin has had more elections than the SFBA in the last 10 years, and at least he has a set of vague rules, unlike the SFBA.
4. Before claiming the SFBA represents anyone it would be wise to check the members views, a look back at recent events (TI - for example, one of many) show that they are about as in touch as GW.
5. This might as well be the Crissy field club of 8, much more accurate.

Factcheck,

You are both right and wrong:

1. SFBA has never represented even a majority of the windsurfers based on membership but has pursued goals that a majority, maybe even 90%, would like to see realized... like getting the nets raised at 3rd Avenue, getting the north end of Treasure Island designated for launching by the Bay Commission so that access must be included in redevelopment, getting an agreement for the launch at his H's Lordships to be improved when the Bay Trail is extended.

2&3. The president of SFBA is elected by the board, so there were votes and I did not ask to be president. The board is elected by the membership. During every prior year of my tenure, there have never been more people vying for the board seats than there were seats. One question to ask is whether to spend association money to mail out ballots when there are no challengers? We do need to have a member meeting to vote on the new bylaws and consider new board members nominated by sitting board members (there were no nominations in response to the eNews that went out to over 1,000 people).

4. Please let me us know the issue with Treasure Island. If it is failing to stop the Navy from displacing us, then I'd love to know how you would stop them on their own land governed by federal laws that give the military broad latitude to do as they please. I tried to make inroads with Nancy Pelosi's staff, but they seemed distracted by some other issues. The only reason i haven't resigned yet is to work on TI including work with the developer (who has budgeted $1.8M for improvements) and the TIDA staff who feel that they can deal with city fears of potential liability by having us post safety signage and warnings.

5. The only thing SFBA has done for Crissy in the last 10 years is pay around $1,000 of the $5,000 cost for the safety sign case with the Parks Conservancy agreeing to pay the rest. That seemed like a reasonable investment.

You sound like someone who is much better at complaining that being part of any solution. The fact that you have to hide your identity would seem to speak volumes.

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: