myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Single Point Harness lines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronm41

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Single Point Harness lines Reply with quote

I did a search on this and didn't find anything, so hopefully not a repeat post. Anyway, I just got a pair of Dakine single point harness lines and got a chance to use them today for the first time. First, they have absolutely no adjustment so if you don't get the right size the only way to fix it is to move the boom. I found this out as I got some 24"ers and at my currrent boom height and using a waist harness, I had to move my booms way up to get it right. As far as performance, once I got used to the feel I really like the feel and it seemed to make the sail feel more sensitive and less deliberate to sheet in and out. Conditions today were 15-30 with a few lulls and pretty gusty as well. I was on a 5.9 sail and OPed a lot. So, I wouldn't want to use them on sails much bigger than a 6.0, but for smaller sails I think I am going to like them alot. Hopefully I don't pressure point my booms and break them so not going to use them with large sails. Try a pair you might like them.
beallmd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is That why you passed me up today? Shame on you!
ronm41

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beallmd wrote:
Is That why you passed me up today? Shame on you!

No, Secret weapon dude, WEED FIN Wink
coachg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Single Point Harness lines Reply with quote

ronm41 wrote:
Hopefully I don't pressure point my booms and break them so not going to use them with large sails. Try a pair you might like them.

Interesting. I do quite the opposite. I move my lines closer together for larger sails and farther apart for smaller sails. I figure I’m using the larger sails in lighter winds so I need greater sensitivity. Also, I’m not as likely to be jumping with larger sails so I really don’t worry about point loading. Larger sails for me is 6.5-10.0.

Coachg
rpacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the Dakine monolines and like them other than the fact that whatever material that they use for the attachment point to the boom makes them very difficult to move fore or aft. The fact that there is only one point of attachment makes the location on the boom quite critical based on outhaul/sail size for a balanced feel and I often end up trying to sort that on the water. The reluctance of the lines to be adjusted makes that real difficult and, the abrasive/grippy nature of the webbing used has destroyed the foam grip on two of my booms at the attachment point which didn't make me very happy. I went back to standard ol' Chinook lines because they're easier to deal with on the water.

They need to modify the material/construction for easier on the fly adjustment otherwise I would rate them a 10.
ronm41

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpacher wrote:
I've used the Dakine monolines and like them other than the fact that whatever material that they use for the attachment point to the boom makes them very difficult to move fore or aft. The fact that there is only one point of attachment makes the location on the boom quite critical based on outhaul/sail size for a balanced feel and I often end up trying to sort that on the water. The reluctance of the lines to be adjusted makes that real difficult and, the abrasive/grippy nature of the webbing used has destroyed the foam grip on two of my booms at the attachment point which didn't make me very happy. I went back to standard ol' Chinook lines because they're easier to deal with on the water.

They need to modify the material/construction for easier on the fly adjustment otherwise I would rate them a 10.

I have accumulated a bunch of days lately with these lines and I got my wife out a bit lately using them as well. I would say that overall we like the lines better than traditional sets especially for us using a waist harness and sailing in up and down wind where there is slogging involved and going in and out of hooking up. It is true that they don't adjust on the fly as they are difficult to move fore and aft but they are easy to rotate. We have one boom for 5.8 and 5.3 and another boom for 5.0 and 4.4 so the placement is simlar for both sails and not a lot of fiddling around on the water. I guess the downside compared to traditional is you don't have as much power laying your weight on the booms or moving the hook back on the lines for more sheet down. But they have a sensitive feel and you steer more with your arms and hands. So pretty user friendly for smaller sails in high gusty wind. Wink
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronm41 If you are moving your boom higher for 24" lines, you may have been using lines that were too short in the past. We have had this discussion about line length on this board before, but basically most recreational sailors use lines which are too short for them. For once I agree with Coach, I have been sailing with the Chinook racing lines for my biggest sails (8.0 to 11) which are set up so that they are closer together than the stock lines.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: