myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Baja Winter Windsurfing Madness!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deryck.w

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Baja Winter Windsurfing Madness! Reply with quote

some action from baja

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy6i4511xlQ

Last edited by deryck.w on Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
joew

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what do you get for the overindulged college freshman who has everything but a summer job, you ask? His own publicist, of course.
jota

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joew wrote:
So what do you get for the overindulged college freshman who has everything but a summer job, you ask? His own publicist, of course.

Laughing Laughing
deryck.w

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- actually i had two summer jobs, I have a construction engineering and management internship with a company that specializes in statewide public infrastructure, and teach private and public windsurfing and kiteboarding lessons on the side. These two jobs, combined with working 20 hours a week during the school year on top of taking CEM classes (and maintaining a high GPA) in the professional program at OSU pays for my trips, cost of living, snowboarding, car, etc.,

- no I'm not a freshmen

- yes i am my own publicist, sorry (actually not) i know how to maintain a balance with windsurfing, school, and work!

Last edited by deryck.w on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:16 am; edited 3 times in total
jota

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you Jay, for workng hard, being bright, and still living the dream.

Joew probably reacted to the fact that the post seemed to be made by your father!

I think joew's other point was that the post seemed to have no other point than bragging. Truly cool dudes used to let their actions speak for themselves, but in this Facebook age people seem to be conditioned to advertise everything they do to the world.
deryck.w

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, my dad no longer uses iWindsurf and had a few extra months left on the subscription, not really my fault that I can't change the name and want to save money on another subscription simply so I can change my username to something more appropriate.

The point of my post was not to brag to anyone at all. The only reason I even posted it in iWindsurf was I thought that someone might benefit from my video in either watching it and sharing my stoke or being exposed to a new sailing spot/vacation place & the conditions that happen, that they might not have otherwise known about. I make videos on the side of all the stuff I have going on because I bought myself a GoPro last summer, and love working with computers and editing videos (after I graduate I want to take classes on proper professional editing).

I make these videos out of pure passion for windsurfing, filming and editing, and to preserve memories of mine that I share with my friends throughout the world.

I moved out of my parents house two years ago, and both parents work full time and take care of my two sisters. Given their busy lives and mine, usually the only way I can fill them in on the conditions and my experience is through Skype or a few pictures. My large family is spread out between South Africa, Washington State, Florida, and Mexico, making it difficult to fill each other in on how trips were. Posting it on Youtube makes it much easier to explain the whole experience to my entire family, extended family and friends without taking lots of time away from schoolwork or work (on Skype filling everyone in one by one with pictures), as " a picture is worth a thousand words" and a video is composed of thousands of pictures.

I send these videos in to companies that help me along the way accomplish my goals, and post them places to help promote their respective brand names and their latest products through new media communications (prime advertisement in the modern age keeping in mind the amount of Youtube/Facebook/Twitter users there are), in respect for how they help me accomplish my goals as a passionate windsurfer who is trying to balance an expensive education and an expensive sport/dream.

Concluding, I probably should have changed the description on my Youtube account a little. After 3 weeks of editing and 2 weeks of troubleshooting my mac and going through gigabytes and gigabytes of raw footage on the side of school and work, I was extremely stoked when I finally got it to work and wrote the description. When I posted it here I did not have anytime at all (This week I have had 2 engineering exams and 1 computer programming exam) to write another description more iWindsurf friendly, so I just copied and pasted the Youtube description.

I'm sorry if it is deemed offensive to anyone, I just posted it here out of pure stoke and love for both windsurfing and video editing, as everywhere else windsurfers get stoked on hearing windsurfing stories and experiences from other windsurfers (given how small the windsurfing community is and how friendly the atmosphere is).

Last edited by deryck.w on Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:50 pm; edited 3 times in total
NickB

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your video is great and is definitely sharing the stoke, keep up the good work.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense, but I have to ask, why did you format your original post like you were talking about someone else? Seems curious to me.
rigitrite

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is kinda wierd to talk about yourself in the 3rd person. It makes you sound like you're running for office. [/i]
deryck.w

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

none taken, i literally copied it straight from the youtube description of my account. Is merely a description of what the video is if some random person were to type it in on the internet and is posted from my youtube account zejaymon productions. I thought it would sound better if i wrote it in third person from zejaymon productions as if it randomly came up no one i am it would make my "zejaymon productions" sound like an editing company or something (more of a joke with my friends than anything as its just a kid with spare time on his hands and a macbook), and i originally thought it would sound better then if i were to say "i did this i did that."

thanks for your guy's input il change it right now so it doesn't sound weird
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: