myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Comments on my planing techique?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Comments on my planing techique? Reply with quote

The best video I have of my planing is located on Facebook, I think everyone can see it by using this link:
https://www.facebook.com/delburn.carpenter/videos/vb.100000620275214/1055533501143982/?type=2&theater&notif_t=like

I think the spray tail is high enough to indicate I'm doing something wrong, such as not enough weight in the harness?

(Kona One Design, with an older 7.2 Lodey sail and a 38 cm fin. I have OD equipment, just not using a Kona sail & fin that day.)
lucashurt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might check out this video for some comparison:
https://vimeo.com/137451583

Around 1:24, shows a pretty similar angle. Sail is sheeted in more, sailor leaning further to windward, and board trim is flatter. The rooster tail seems to still be present though.

My first thought from your video is that it looks like the wind strength might be marginal but that sheeting in more and more weight in the harness might help.

Is that the kind of feedback you were looking for?
scargo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't sail my K1 as much these days, and also don't have any video of my own where I could compare the trim of the board.

That said, to me it looks like the nose is trimmed too high. Your boom height looks ok, but I think you need to move your harness lines back quite a bit (clues: the sail isn't sheeted home, and at the end of the clip, the sail sheets out when you relax your back hand, indicating that the lines weren't balanced). I'd move your lines back even more than you want to--i.e., so that there's pull on the front hand--so that you can overcome that habit.

Relatedly, you aren't in the footstraps, and I think you should at least be in the front strap. This will stabilize you against catapulting (an increased hazard once you move the lines back), and that body position will allow you to apply much more mast foot pressure, the absence of which is of course the heart of the issue.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Comments on my planing techique? Reply with quote

DelCarpenter wrote:

I think the spray tail is high enough to indicate I'm doing something wrong, such as not enough weight in the harness?

See Scargo's comments. You need to sheet in a lot more, which will add mast base pressure, push the nose down, stop the tail from plowing and kicking up that spray (which is wasted energy.) And you should be in at least the front footstrap, which will make hiking out (and sheeting in) more comfortable.

That "should". From the comments on the video it looks like you and your friends enjoyed the session.

isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scargo wrote:
I think you should at least be in the front strap. This will stabilize you against catapulting

Please explain the logic behind that, given that a catapult begins with the back foot lifting off the deck.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Iso, don't get in the front strap if your not going to get in the back strap soon afterward.

I sail predominantly my K1 so my comments are based on real life knowledge of the board.

The nose is maybe too high, but not that much. The board is not flat, so even if the back was level, the nose would be 30 cm in the air, and since you need an angle to plane, 60 cm makes sense.

The obvious problem is that you are not even close to the straps, whilst having sufficient speed to justify it. And you seemed well balanced, so changes are required to keep the balance and bring you back on the board.

As someone said, it would be better to have the sail more sheeted in. You'll go even faster, in more control. To achieve that, put your harness lines further back. You should also raise your boom. This will first require to move your lines back again to keep the sail sheeted in and balanced. With such a setup, you'll find your feet will need to be more back on the board, and eventually you'll be stepping on the straps cursing them! It will be time to get in!

I'm 200 lbs and I used the board, in both straps, with sails ranging from 5.2 to 9.5. With the 5.2, it works only with the straps in the front holes, while the 9.5 is better with the straps back.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boom to the top of the cut out, lines back, sheet in all the way. commit to the harness pull. get in the straps first before hooking in.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that I would put the boom at the top of the cut out, but I would definitely try it at Adam's apple height.

When you get planing like that, you then need to try to move aft into the straps. When you are fully sheeted in, you can also move the whole sail back so that the mast tilts aft. This will help to give an end plate effect, have the wind escape from the sail more efficiently, and boost your speed.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to be clear to the OP, with a proper setup, it will feel bad to be out of the straps. You start slowly, but as soon as you gain speed, you will feel the need to go back.

With the setup you had, standing in front of the straps was fine. Trying to move back would be difficult and awkward. And if you force it, the board will turn upwind.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

upon first look I thought try moving mast foot forward
but looks like that was not even an option ...
took a quick look at some videos with K1 planing
they all seemed to have the projectile look to some extent
this confuses me ...
doesn't this mean the "step tail" is IN the water then ??
sorry, i am easily confused Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: