myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Eddies Revenge and the FrothMasters new spoof video!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfind

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Eddies Revenge and the FrothMasters new spoof video! Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

About 10 days ago, during a long period of SW flow and faint coast windsin the Bay Area I forecast the return of strong NW winds calling the "Revenge of the North Pacific High" And, yep, we saw a couple of strong NW days as the NPH ruled.

Well, let's call today "Eddies Revenge"

Why?

For centuries Southern California has been plagued by a Catalina Eddy which shut down most sites except for Lake Lopez, Lake Isabella and the Southern California Deserts. Then, about 15 years ago, we started to see a small Golden Gate just west of the Gate.

Each passing year that eddy has become more common and larger until and now it is the dominant wind pattern in the Bay Area.

And as was the case in Southern California the eddy pattern benefits a few sites while closing down the coast and making some sites unreliable.

So, why call today the "Eddies Revenge"?

Check out the animation below and you can see a flock of eddies rule most of the California coast.

As Dylan said: The Times They Are A-Changin'

In recent decades the North Pacific High has been misbehaving compared to the climatological norm. And the why behind that would be the subject of a long blog. Suffice to say... Southern California, the Bay Area and The Gorge have all seen major changes in their wind patterns and not for the better.

These wind pattern changes are touched upon by this irreverent but hilarious video short released today by the FrothMasters. I had no part in this production!

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CSR9xH8FFHg/?utm_medium=copy_link

Mike Godsey

temps 323.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  128.04 KB
 Viewed:  16724 Time(s)

temps 323.jpg

CAtonsOFeddies.2021-08-07 13_56_17.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.94 MB
 Viewed:  16724 Time(s)

CAtonsOFeddies.2021-08-07 13_56_17.gif

exhibitpro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Mike, You've got a lot more hair in that video than I remembered...
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Eddies Revenge and the FrothMasters new spoof video! Reply with quote

This has been the strangest year ever on the West bay. Or at least the strangest since I started sailing here in 1986 (ouch!). We went from 2 solid months, April and May, of under 4.7 winds, to regular 6.5 conditions seemingly within a week. Past June 15 I have not rigged anything less than 6.0.

Coyote almost completely shut down.

And I really never seen anything approaching the amount of marine layer stationed on San Francisco for the last 30 years. Crissy has been under a solid uninterrupted dome of gray for almost two months! Shocked
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure?
Lack of NW coastal winds always hurt the W bay, and favors East Bay and Delta.
I remember plenty of years when the Sunset District sees sun less than 3 days out of 90 in the summer.
Coast sailors hate deep fog.
Inland sailors love thick fog on the coast.
Your weak W Bay winds are balanced by banner Sherman and East Bay days.
Nothing new.
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Are you sure?
Lack of NW coastal winds always hurt the W bay, and favors East Bay and Delta.
I remember plenty of years when the Sunset District sees sun less than 3 days out of 90 in the summer.
Coast sailors hate deep fog.
Inland sailors love thick fog on the coast.
Your weak W Bay winds are balanced by banner Sherman and East Bay days.
Nothing new.

I have been living in the Richmond for more than 20 years and I cannot remember a year in which we had a total of 2 consecutive days of sunshine, plus one afternoon over a two months stretch. In terms of wind, I never seen Coyote shutting down completely in July and August. The exception is last year, when it also happened.

These might anecdotes, and they might have little to do with global weather changes, but in general there is a lot new in the weather!

Anyway: pilgrimage to Coyote today. Maybe I'll get lucky with a 15 knots breeze ...
gerritt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That video is all time! Almost makes me want to take up kiteboarding - Almost.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave...Coyote relies on NW coastal wind, almost as much as Bodega-Tomales. No N W.
I worked in Menlo Park one summer....Coyote maybe blew 3 days out of40. I sailed Berkeley 20 of those days.
tomg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just had this chat a few days ago at the TI launch. The Regular old dudes all agree the last couple of years have been much windier out there. (no complaints!) I've been going there routinely for well over a decade and never had a need for anything smaller than a 4.7 until about three years ago. Also, it seems like the fog is not as thick as it once was, back when my 5.9 got plenty of use. Now nothing over 5-3 gets wet. The wind has really changed.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Temps in SF didn't crack 70 degrees for the entire month of July. 1st time in 56 years.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/weather/article/S-F-temps-didn-t-crack-the-70s-in-July-for-16356021.php

Ask the people sailing Marina Bay and Larkspur if they got enough wind this summer. If you are willing to brave a little traffic, there is always wind to be found.

After the windiest spring in 20 years at Crissy, you have to figure things would balance out. Crissy is still windy but you have to be willing to shlog for it.
dvCali

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomg wrote:
We just had this chat a few days ago at the TI launch. The Regular old dudes all agree the last couple of years have been much windier out there. (no complaints!) I've been going there routinely for well over a decade and never had a need for anything smaller than a 4.7 until about three years ago. Also, it seems like the fog is not as thick as it once was, back when my 5.9 got plenty of use. Now nothing over 5-3 gets wet. The wind has really changed.

TI used to be my regular July/August destination before the bridge became a parking lot ... I guess I will have to brave the traffic and go back there! Or rediscover Larkspur ... yesterday Coyote was completely dead. Stick worked with 6.5 for about one hour ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: