myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Ops! Finally got rescued!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinkan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Ops! Finally got rescued! Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
I've sheared off a G10 fin in exactly the same way, so probably no safer.
Maybe carbon?

-Craig

dvCali wrote:

Moral of the story: not so sure any longer about a plastic fin for free-race/ride overpowered conditions! Time to get a tectonics Falcon ...

I've sheared a carbon fin... a loaner from LeeD (aka dlee). I jumped and I saw it flying through the air... was able to slog back. I remember it pretty well... was on a 2009 Fanatic Hawk 93 LTD (super light) with four straps I think an Ezzy 5.2.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that....no big deal....
I've sailed home without any fins in a dozen spots.
Also snapped 4 boards clean in half, and 2 where the bottom was connected, but the deck sheared clean across taking the core with it.
Seen Mike White do the opposite, mostly at Tomales.
Been rescued 3 times at Berkeley by the skiff from broken masts or booms.
My ledger is clean, as I've towed in more than 10 sailors at Crissy.
dvCali

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Ops! Finally got rescued! Reply with quote

kevinkan wrote:
cgoudie1 wrote:
I've sheared off a G10 fin in exactly the same way, so probably no safer.
Maybe carbon?

-Craig

dvCali wrote:

Moral of the story: not so sure any longer about a plastic fin for free-race/ride overpowered conditions! Time to get a tectonics Falcon ...

I've sheared a carbon fin... a loaner from LeeD (aka dlee). I jumped and I saw it flying through the air... was able to slog back. I remember it pretty well... was on a 2009 Fanatic Hawk 93 LTD (super light) with four straps I think an Ezzy 5.2.

Yep, I actually doubt there is something wrong with the K4 Fang material ... just bad luck. Shocked
bert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you're okay Davide. That's the same boat that rescued me a few years back at Flying Tigers when my mast base came apart on my sailboard. There must be bad karma at the Stick this week..(maybe the Stick fishermen put a curse on us). Today I almost lost my 90L wingboard after a failed jibe. My board leash detached from the waist harness after I hit the water hard. Before I realized it, the board was moving fast downwind in the 20 mph winds and away from me and I had to swim like Johnny Weissmiller (Tarzan) to catch it. To add insult the sharp upturned wingtips on my new foil ( Takuma 1210) put a sizable hole on my 4.0 wing Crying or Very sad
dvCali

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bert wrote:
Glad you're okay Davide. That's the same boat that rescued me a few years back at Flying Tigers when my mast base came apart on my sailboard. There must be bad karma at the Stick this week..(maybe the Stick fishermen put a curse on us). Today I almost lost my 90L wingboard after a failed jibe. My board leash detached from the waist harness after I hit the water hard. Before I realized it, the board was moving fast downwind in the 20 mph winds and away from me and I had to swim like Johnny Weissmiller (Tarzan) to catch it. To add insult the sharp upturned wingtips on my new foil ( Takuma 1210) put a sizable hole on my 4.0 wing Crying or Very sad

Thanks Bart, the police boat arrived so quickly that I did not even have time to get worried.

It is lucky that I started to bring the VHF at Stick. I often, but stupidly enough not always, bring the VHF at Crissy, TI and Coyote, but never at Stick. This year I got a little 5L waterproof bag where I put my car keys and now is so easy to take the VHF that I got in the habit of always having it with me.

Sure enough, I called the coast guard twice at Stick this year. Once for my own rescue, and the other time for Marty who lost is wing board when its leash detached (what is wrong with those leashes?). He made it to shore in the weak and providential southwesterly, but the coast guard found his board Very Happy

Sorry for the hole in your 4.0 Confused
ctuna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of device do you have ? Model and Brand?
dvCali

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctuna wrote:
What kind of device do you have ? Model and Brand?

Standard Horizon HX890. Very easy to use in the water Shocked it has an automatic distress locator system. You push it and it broadcasts you longi/latitude. I think that is the reason the rescue boat came at me as if I had a huge sign pointing at my head!

Forgot to ask them in the bloody mess of lifting the board and sail on the rescue boat and trying not to have it completely trashed!

17865016.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  34.36 KB
 Viewed:  12050 Time(s)

17865016.jpg

dvCali

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked with K4 and they said that they never had a Fang break off, just out of luck. They were exceptionally nice and offer a refund or new fin as a warranty. I picked two tiny freestyles that I am starting to bring with me, one at a time, as a spare ... never broke a fin in 35 years but who knows, it might happen again!

IMG_1987.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  183.89 KB
 Viewed:  11054 Time(s)

IMG_1987.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: