myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tiverton Fogland Oyster Farms
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tacoma1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Tiverton Fogland Oyster Farms Reply with quote

I Was sailing At Fogland this Saturday and one of the guys said they are back at it again with the proposed Oyster farms in the area Fogland Sapowet point sandy Point he said actually all up and down the river the crmc is involved so it could be more locations In R.I, Google Tiverton Oyster farm It could make some of these sailing sites unusable, they tried this years ago but i guess enough people opposed it then, call email tiverton town counsel and crmc It looks like already a lot of Opposition but more cant hurt, I Am going to next town counsel meetings Etc.. Thanks
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stirred up the most intense bill-vote opposition in Utah history while confined to my bed by calling every relevant group I could imagine and making sure they understood the bill's consequences to them. I also called local Talk Radio about it during rush hour. The result was days of torrential, absolutely non-stop phone calls to legislators in session, at home, in their offices, and on the golf course (the proposed bill would impact every form of outdoor recreation including golf.) The Utah capitol staff told me the oft-proposed bill was defeated so overwhelmingly that it was unlikely to ever appear again.

Make noise.
tacoma1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice I Am going to town hall meeting tomorrow night I know there are others already involved Hopefully It can be defeated once again I have nothing against Oyster farms just not in A spot which is one of the best windsurfing spots in this area , and could eventually be in lots of other locations
can you imagine hitting one of those things at high speed
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Googled images of the areas you mentioned, then Googled images of oyster farms. I'll remember both for a long time ... the former for their classic beauty, the latter for their sheer ugliness. I HATE it when a handful of money grubbing SOBs place their own interests above hundreds or thousands of other people. (I can pretty much ignore wind turbine farm aesthetics, but their ecological impacts and climate-related fallacies are impossible to ignore.)

Who else uses Foglands and other threatened sites? Commercial or recreational boaters? Fishermen? Water skiers/wakeboarders? Tourists? Locals out for a beautiful day at the park and the beach? Will these eyesores affect any small businesses selling watercraft, food, lodging, tourist trinkets, or any other products that may be impacted by turning a beautiful seashore into an aquatic pig farm? Find ways to stir them up if they aren't already.

Google the environmental impacts of oyster farms. They seem to be both positive and negative. It's your side's job to point out the negative impacts, the oyster farmers' job to present the positives, and some commission's job to sort it all out.

Thanks for recognizing that my example was intended as suggestions rather than horn-tooting.
tacoma1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the Town meeting Monday night yes there are already a lot of other groups opposed Home owners fishermen boaters etc.. I made several comments to the board about windsurfing they seemed to nod in agreement
the chairman of the board running the meeting said he was aware of the windsurfing at fogland and said he had friends who were windsurfers, so that is a BIG positive, I and some others will continue going to the meetings Etc.. Thank You
donwh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]I went to the Town meeting Monday night yes there are already a lot of other groups opposed Home owners fishermen boaters etc.. I made several comments to the board about windsurfing they seemed to nod in agreement
the chairman of the board running the meeting said he was aware of the windsurfing at fogland and said he had friends who were windsurfers, so that is a BIG positive, I and some others will continue going to the meetings Etc.. Thank You[quote]

Thanks for your input!
tacoma1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input! Smile
tacoma1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: fogland oyster farms Reply with quote

At the meeting the chairman said they had already removed a few traps from just outside the boat area I had hit one and someone else told me they had also , they also removed the 2 Big Boulders that were blocking the entrance to the Cove ( North NW Wind ) about a year ago because they had received Too MANY COMPLAINTS

UPDATE for more information on the status of the Oyster farms If you are On Facebook Visit the Fogland Windsurfing Group there is a petition on that site
tacoma1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:49 pm    Post subject: Fogland oyster farm update Reply with quote

For the latest details on the Fogland Oyster farms go to Facebook Fogland windsurfing Group, Carl Ferreira has the latest details from the meetings
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact US Windsurfing, Ned is the Northeast rep who succeeded me. Access is a leading action point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: