myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Lake Perris closed by rangers at 30mph
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
david99

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars,

I agree that closing Lake Perris is nonsense. As far as the letter writing campaign, I'm not sure if it is worth it. The lake does not have consistent winds and there are not many people sailing there (someone correct me if I am wrong.

Historically, it is of some note because Kevin and Matt Pritchard grew up nearby. Many years ago I remember seeing a very young Kevin Pritchard sailing there with his Dad - doing crazy things like clew first water starts.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be worth an appeal in person or in writing just in case it helps the next ... or next dozen ... sailors who want to play there on a windy day. Most "civilians" have no clue about WSers (or dirt bikers or snowmobilers or 4-wheelers or even hikers). I've had MANY successes and only one total rejection (from a power plant) in the many requests I've made to gain access, change or get exclusions to rules, etc. on county, state, federal, and private shorelines. Rational people often accommodate or even welcome polite requests for their assistance, and it can't hurt to ask. That change from 29 to 39 mph indicates to me that they're trying to be reasonable.

On less controlled or less crowded venues, I may not ask a question I don't want to hear the answer to. I've never been challenged by any landowner or official when rigging, sailing, or coming ashore (or cross-country landsailing) wherever I pleased. (On someone's waterfront lawn, I ask first; I haven't been refused yet.)

Maybe I'm spoiled ... d'ya think?
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lake Perris is a size able lake. With clean clear water. At times it can be as good as anywhere. Back in the day, on a Santa Anna wind, there would 50 plus windsurfers on on the water. Including the Prittchard family and other highly skilled people. In the summer on mostly big sails, cars and gear would line the beach from near the dam to the point...Really great fun as was the beer and hot dogs afterwards....The good old days...Just sayin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: