myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Santa Cruz advice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wind_serf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:00 pm    Post subject: Santa Cruz advice Reply with quote

Wondering if folks have any tips for windsurfing in Santa Cruz.

Seems like Waddell is the spot, and I know some people windsup around natural bridges.

The problem is my skill set doesn’t seem to really work for the conditions here, or at least I’m still too little nervous to go out and try.

I’m in a weird demographic of somebody that picked up windsurfing fairly recently, but then REALLY got hooked on windfoiling. So I suck at traditional windsurfing, but I’m ok at windfoiling - I’ve been doing it for years and ride a wizard 105L/infinity 76 combo that I love and have had such a blast at the usual bay sites like Crissy and 3rd ave.

So I’m really comfortable on the windfoil, but I’ve never once been out in Santa Cruz because I don’t really know how to go. I usually end up surfing to get my water fix or going over to the bay.

Has anyone foiled around here? I wouldn’t be trying to ride waves, just somewhere I could get out safely. Maybe the harbor? The things that worry me are kelp and shorebreaks.

Thanks in advance for the advice. Kinda been bumming me out lately that I live here and haven’t ever been out! Maybe I just need to get a windsup or improve my short boarding skills so I can go out at Waddell.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kelp is the main problem, but you can always jump off and pull it off once outside and clear.
East side is lighter wind, often too light to foil.
West side is usually winder, too windy for foil.
Pick your days.
Windward1 launches windSUP from Manresa-Capitola area.
I have sailed Pleasures..on S rain.. Rivermouth, Cowell, Lane 2nd-3rd, It's , Swift, and NB in town, but preferred up the coast for sinker wave boards.
windward1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi wind_serf,

I have seen a guy windfoil at a couple of places here on the Santa Cruz Coast and I would be glad to share some insights. Probably best to PM me.

Regards,

W1
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's keep secrets, instead of sharing info....
windward1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certain secrets must be kept.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two opposing but equally valid comments. I'll discuss almost anything online, but I'm not telling my Mom or best friend where my wild Gorge campsites or last-ditch launches are.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there are sooooo many sailors you have to worry about overcrowding.
Yet your ego needs to post pictures constantly.
dvCali

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Santa Cruz advice Reply with quote

wind_serf wrote:
Wondering if folks have any tips for windsurfing in Santa Cruz.

Seems like Waddell is the spot, and I know some people windsup around natural bridges.

The problem is my skill set doesn’t seem to really work for the conditions here, or at least I’m still too little nervous to go out and try.

I’m in a weird demographic of somebody that picked up windsurfing fairly recently, but then REALLY got hooked on windfoiling. So I suck at traditional windsurfing, but I’m ok at windfoiling - I’ve been doing it for years and ride a wizard 105L/infinity 76 combo that I love and have had such a blast at the usual bay sites like Crissy and 3rd ave.

So I’m really comfortable on the windfoil, but I’ve never once been out in Santa Cruz because I don’t really know how to go. I usually end up surfing to get my water fix or going over to the bay.

Has anyone foiled around here? I wouldn’t be trying to ride waves, just somewhere I could get out safely. Maybe the harbor? The things that worry me are kelp and shorebreaks.

Thanks in advance for the advice. Kinda been bumming me out lately that I live here and haven’t ever been out! Maybe I just need to get a windsup or improve my short boarding skills so I can go out at Waddell.

Gee, I never sailed Santa Cruz so I cannot help, but I really hope you get some answers instead of people claiming secrets spots and refusing to share. What an attitude ...
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I lived in SC, I'd drive down to Marina/Ft. Ord area and windfoil in less kelp, small shorebreak, and protected locale.
blackcat1313

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been years since I windsurfed, but here are suggestions that haven’t been posted yet. For flat water, SC sailors go to the O’Neill Forebay of the San Luis Resevoir. Take a weed fin and check the water level before going. Blows hard early morning and late afternoon similar to the Delta. Good place to practice short board skills.

Waddell turned into a kiteboard spot years ago. There is plenty of room for windsurfers but few sail here. Once you can water start reliably and jibe on flat water, you can try sailing here on small surf days. Summer has strong wind and the smallest surf. Stay under waist-high surf to get used to getting air and sailing down the line.

The expert wave sailing spot is Davenport Landing. You need to be pretty good to sail here and not be a danger to yourself and others.

Best of luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: